DMOZ

By : Business Owner
Published 8th February 2017 |
Read latest comment - 29th March 2017

Got a bit of a shock tonight , got home to find DMOZ has put my website details on at long last ... I only submitted it about 4 years ago lolol.... So it got me wondering do they still hold any weight anymore or is it just another useless link as I've removed all my links from my site now too as they not much good anymore

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World
Comments

I'm not the SEO expert, but I think Google is way smarter than that at the moment!

Fixed Fee Legal Services | Bespoke Document Drafting | Document Templates

I didn't think DMOZ held any weight these days... use to spend my entire life getting myself listed in all these directories, paid people to get me listed was in all the top directories and then everything imploded... Having spent years and untold money on directories and linking, decided never to go down that route again.... The new website I had to get done now just floats around and generates enough work, without the need for linking, pay per click and directory listings.... which suits me fine..

Oh and one other thing, I think DMOZ lost some of it's credibility because if you knew where to go you could pay someone to get you listed..... I used a Lancashire SEO company to do it for me, it only took a week to get listed. Other than being listed in the so called holy grail of directories, I'm not entirely sure there were any benefits of being listed.........

Thanks,
Barney

Blimey, a DMOZ discussion, like being back in 2012 

We were in it, then I upset one of the editors and we disappeared. Tried resubmitting, then gave up after a few years.

It was the "holy grail" as Google used it as a reference point, but that's a long time ago. Just had a look for the first time in years and can see it's had a make over. It's now just a volunteer run web directory owned by AOL.

Arguably it is still used as a reference point by some search engines as it is a respected human moderated directory, so being in there is not going to be a bad thing and is a good link. But if you're not, don't worry about it.

Great post on Moz about this from 2015 which pretty much sums it up:

DMOZ Directory Impact on Rankings - Moz

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Got a bit of a shock tonight , got home to find DMOZ has put my website details on at long last ... I only submitted it about 4 years ago lolol.... ”

Got some bad news Andy, after finally getting yourself on, they've pulled the plug out and switched it off!

The DMOZ is no more 

Originally it was a really useful resource, but it seemed to morph into power mad and manipulating editors, or am I just being unfair as we could never seem to get back on 

Steve Richardson

That's the story of my life ,can't believe that has happened . I suppose with the demise of linking it was inevitable to happen to sites like this ....

Thanks for letting me know

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

Well, I guess that's the problem solved!

Fixed Fee Legal Services | Bespoke Document Drafting | Document Templates

Well, I guess that's the problem solved!”

lol, well put 

Steve Richardson

This Thread is now closed for comments