How to apply Title Tag Optimisation in 2015

By : Administrator
Published 11th September 2015 |
Read latest comment - 11th September 2015

Once in a while when trying to catch up on the inner workings of today's SEO, from the millions of articles of varying quality, you stumble upon a diamond.

Here is one such article. 

How to improve title tag CTR by 20%

The article stems from January this year, but it is well worth a read.

Just so we are clear, title tags are the name of your web page that shows up in Google search results, eg below:

If you have access to your code, they sit in the "head" section of your code and look like this:

Help with getty images threat | My Local Services

Title tags have long been a very important factor of SEO, and if you know nothing about them, then it's time you should. A starter for 10 is my SEO 101 post from yesteryear but still relevant.

Ross Hudgens from Siege Media argues that Title Tag optimisation is now a very overlooked part of Google ranking, and techniques that were relevant a few years ago, have been superseded.

The author has done a lot of analysis on title tag optimisation, so it's well worth a read, and I know from experience how effective title tag optimisation is.

So have a read a read and let me know what you think. A 20% increase in click through rate isn't to be sneezed at!

www.siegemedia.com/title-tags

Be interesting to hear any observations or thoughts.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

Yes - good article, which I like to summarise as get to the point within 55 characters.

Big mistake I see is page names being same as title tags, or the company name at the beginning of a title which is not relevant and a waste of characters.

It is effective and if done well, like the article states, helps it stand out amongst other options on a Google page.

If you are going to go over the 55 characters, make sure you get to the point within 55 in case it is used by Google rather than changed.

This Thread is now closed for comments