We are in another lockdown in the UK and whilst it seems for the most part rather half-hearted there are some smaller businesses really suffering and I thought it would be good to have some reminders of how you can help!
It is also Christmas soon and we all need presents, so step away from Amazon if you can! (convenience isn’t necessary the best option).
Here are some ideas of how you can hep SMEs:
- Buy vouchers for future use – great as gifts or for yourself, salons, spas and most places will be open at some point!
- Order takeaways from independent places – You don’t have to go to the big chains like McDonalds and Costa, look for the small places doing takeaway as most have enabled this since the last lockdown.
- Pre-order items or pre-pay for courses/tickets you can use next year – similar to the voucher idea but actually prebook swimming classes or gymnastics for the kids or even pay for a holiday next year. This really helps a business with their cashflow.
- Buy food from local shops or farm shops not supermarkets – depends where you live but most people have access to a farm shop or smaller retailer these days. Supermarkets are great…but buying locally produced food is the way forward.
- Leave reviews for places you went to in the last few months – we may not be able to eat out or go many places now but think of all the places you have been and make sure you left them a review. Coffee shops, cafes, restaurants, softplay, museums… reviews are the lifeblood of small businesses.
- Support social media posts from local businesses – all some people can do right now is market online, so support the posts you see with a comment and a like. It is a few seconds to you but will really boost the reach of a post.
- Source printing and merchandise from local or small companies where possible – there are plenty of big and easily Googled printers but why not ask for recommendations locally and try one of those, I predict the customer service will far exceed the larger companies.
- Go for Etsy not Amazon! – This Christmas there are plenty of small sellers on places like Etsy who will really welcome your orders. Amazon is convenience in the extreme and so fast but start shopping in advance and don’t rush then you don’t need to worry about the time delay.
Do you do any of these already? Reviewing is something I am trying to be much better at, and I am looking to try the local butcher not the local Tesco anymore, especially as I can’t get a Morrison’s online order for love nor money now!!
Have you got any ideas to add to the list?