Brexit or a failed exit? Just get on with it

By Steve.Richardson : Administrator
Published 21st November 2018 | Last comment 12th April 2019
Comments
Meanwhile... Bring in the Queen”
Now that would be another interesting referendum.....

Thanks,
Barney

one person one vote = democracy, the majority voted leave..... the leave vote must be honoured before any consideration to a second referendum can be give.... people need to stop insulting the intelligence of others, everyone absolutely everyone knew what they were voting for..... Yet I bet some bright spark on the BBC’s question time this week will say, either we didn’t know what we were voting for..... or we were misled...yawn...”

I think one of the problems is the small size of the majority. If it was 70/30 or greater then end of story, the people have spoken and it is a major majority. But it was so close, with so little thought put into what would happen if the vote went against the government, that has caused this ongoing chaos.

Whatever the outcome, half the country will be opposed to it, from all walks of life and political beliefs. Modern democracy is about shouting out simplistic sound bite key messages, then pumping a fortune into amplifying those messages across the media. The average person will absorb those messages and will vote for the ones that resonate with them. Take back control, spend the money on hospitals, stop immigration. This is where the leave campaign did well, it had the best marketing campaign. But no one really understood the realities or the bigger picture, how could we unless we are political analysts? We naively assume our political class are giving us the best advice and working for us. But instead our current system has exposed blatant game playing, partisanship and self interest at the expense of all of us.

Because the referendum campaigns were cross party, it was always been doomed to failure. I don't think it would matter if Labour had run the negotiations, then end result would be the same, stalemate and chaos.

The current government is a disaster. I'm no fan of Labour but the current Tory party is embarrassing and doing the country no favours.

I think we need a fresh approach, with a proper coalition government to try and bring the country back together and put a genuine plan together. We don't need another referendum, but we do need a clear plan of action, one that brings in industry leaders, and strategists from all political parties with enough time to formulate a proper plan agreed by all, before presenting it to the EU. We've negotiated the wrong way round. 

With a united parliament, and positive messages from industry, we would then be in a strong position to start our EU negotiations.  Any compromises can be debated openly one by one.

Has to be better than a deal done behind closed doors, with endless negative speculation, then a huge document dumped on MP's who have no idea what the plan was and are then expected to vote and agree on it.

Shameful period in our history

<rant over/>

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

We don't always agree Steve but on this we do. The whole thing was a bad idea from the start and they just didn't believe leave would win, so when they did no one had a clue what to say or do and therefore hardly anything has been done. It is all well and good to say just leave, and blindly walk off with no deal but the reality is it will have long term and short term effects if we walk off without trade deals and no agreement on free movement of people etc.  

Gaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

But no one knows the future... either short term or long term..... they cannot say we’ll lose jobs, because jobs are constantly being lost..... they cannot claim as in today’s Daily Mail, that we will end up having a recession... (think we’re still in the 2008 recession) In fact I think we’ve spent the last half century in a recession..... The country is trillions into debt..... this is whilst we’re in the eu..... and people really believe this great?....... I cannot see why anything should change.... we will continue to trade with Europe and the rest of the world just like always.... My only concern would be for Northern Ireland.... having served there during the late 70s and having gone through several London bombings, I wouldn’t like to go back to those days..... But then there is no real reason why there should...... And if they do end up with a hard border.... so will Scotland should jimmy crankie decide to hold another referendum.......

Thanks,
Barney

My only concern would be for Northern Ireland.... having served there during the late 70s and having gone through several London bombings, I wouldn’t like to go back to those days.......”

Agree completely, but came in at the opposite end to you, with a bizarre 2 year tour, that started with HQNI mortared the day I got there then we had the awful Omagh bombing. But after a false start, ended up with the peace process and dismantling of checkpoints almost overnight.

There will always be an undercurrent in NI, particularly during the marching season, but I don't think any sane government North or South will allow a return to a hard border. At least while it is still fresh in peoples minds. I worry more about complacency in 10 - 20 years time.

Still, when Warwickshire votes for independence, I'll be joining the Shakespeare Militia

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

So what do people think of the new Brexit party?..... was tempted to enter their website in the “what do you think of our website” section..... seems to be a lot of white space between their 6 candidates.....

will be interesting to see if Nigel Farage can recoup his ex ukip followers..... feel he let everyone down after the referendum and wondered off in to the sunset with Cameron...... 

Thanks,
Barney

And as Nigel Farage put it the country is run by a bunch of Donkeys lol

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

This Thread is now closed for comments