Paypal Christmas advert causes outrage

By : Administrator
Published 2nd November 2015 |
Read latest comment - 2nd November 2015

One of the busiest times of year in the marketing calendar is obviously Christmas, and November normally sees all the big brands showcasing their efforts.

Paypal seems to have kicked up a storm of protest from its customers according to the Daily Mail, by suggesting Santa doesn't exist! 

Source Daily Mail

It seems critics have been very vocal across social media and asked the ASA to pull the advert. There's no public response yet from Paypal, but I'll suspect it's not how they imagined their new campaign would pan out 

Maybe not the most shrewd of marketing strategies? What do you think? Poor planning or storm in a tea cup?

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

Im not sure if i'm missing the point, but where does the advert say Santa doesn't exist? 

The ad shows parents online shopping and the boy's saying they don't know if they are getting any presents - where is santa mentioned?

Anyway - what do you mean Santa isn't real 

Clive

What an over reaction!!!! We only had stockings from Santa and always knew our parents bought us presents, if people are silly enough to tell their children that Santa brings it all then that's their problem... Harsh? I never understand why you would believe or pretend that parents didn't buy their own children anything. Pah. 

P.S. I had to Google the story as I refuse to click on a link from the Daily Fail on principle!!

P.P.S It was aired during X factor....that says it all!

LOL   .. How weird some people are as I know exactly where PayPal is coming from.. There is no mention of no presents or Santa not being real.. As per PayPal it means they are doing their shopping online and presents will be delivered to teh door making it easier and happier time for everyone which is the whole point of the advert  

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

This Thread is now closed for comments