Business awards scam - fake flattery

By : Administrator
Published 15th September 2015 |
Read latest comment - 13th April 2016

Business awards have exploded over the last 10 - 15 years. It has actually become a huge business, with awards companies generating multitudes of categories, and endless "winners".

For the new business owner, you may be very flattered to find out you have been short listed for the customer service excellence awards, the best blue widget, or the pan European best looking builders van. You will be assure there is no cost, and you have been chosen on merit and excellence, blah blah.

At the end of it, there will be a cost, and you will have a lovely certificate to hang on your wall and a logo to put on your website to tell the world that you are an award winning blue widget provider.

If it floats your boat, flatters your ego and think it will be a benefit to your business, then go for it. But go in with your eyes wide open, and your cynical radar on full strength.

We've had loads of these over the years, from a variety of companies. Here's the latest one to arrive, make you own minds up 

Hi,

I hope you had time to read my previous email informing you that My Local Services has been nominated for the 2015 European Corporate Excellence Awards! Over the last few months we have been accepting votes and I am delighted to inform you that you have been nominated!

The 2015 Executive Awards do not discriminate on the grounds of business location, number of employees, sector or size; instead, all we ask is that nominated firms have excelled through their dedication to client satisfaction or ongoing innovation, played a major role in advancing not just their individual firm, but their wider sector or industry.

If you would like to be added to the shortlist then please reply by email, and simply state "I’D LIKE TO SHORTLIST".

The next stage involves some heavy research on our side, and you too will be able to submit any details that you think will aid the decision making process. Your firm will then be presented to our in-house judging panel, and potentially go on to receive valuable industry recognition

Additionally, there is no financial cost or time element to this, and the award winners are due to be announced in November 2015!

Lucky us, we truly are excellent corporate Europeans 

Thanks but no thanks...

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

It's 2016 and this years awards for the most gullible are in! 

Yep it's that time of year for *********** (name removed because they got upset and complained to Google) to pump out lots of self flattery award spam for the gullible and impressionable, for a fee, obviously.

This year I'm MD of the year, which to be honest is probably true, but I'll still settle for a nice Tankard than pay £1400 for the elite package and a trophy 

My favourite line is:

"following months of research by our in-house awards team you have won MD of the Year"

This rubbish has been going for so long, that it must be a pretty effective business model to be sustainable. How do intelligent business people fall for this tosh 

If you need your ego massaged, send me £10 and I'll happily send anyone a certificate with anything you want printed on it... You can then put it on your wall and admire it 

Maybe I'll team up with Andy from Pewter World and we'll knock out some tankards. The cut price dodgy MLS awards have been born, everyone's a winner 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn