Paddy Power immigration lorry - gorilla PR?

By : Administrator
Published 10th July 2015 |
Read latest comment - 10th July 2015

Paddy Power are never ones to shy away from controversy, and prove that a cynical approach to marketing will ensure plenty of publicity. 

If you didn't see it, they decided to logo up a lorry with a big sign saying "Immigrants, jump in the back! (but only if you are good at sport)" and then drive it around Dover, let people take some pics and wait for the inevitable social media backlash and chatter knowing it would be picked up by the media.

They followed it up with a tongue in cheek blog post making light of the controversy and stoking the fires a bit more:

Look what Paddy Power has been saying to immigrants down in Dover

Probably not the kind of marketing most small businesses would consider, and I don't know if I could be bothered with the reputation management and damage limitation, but this style obviously works for PaddyPower.

I know it's probably completely un-PC in this modern world, and I'll burnt at the stake, but it did make me smile. It reminds me a bit of the some of the stunts Branson used to pull in the name of marketing.

So what do you think, clever Gorilla publicity, or a step too far?

Anyone done anything outlandish for PR purposes? Jumped off a building or streaked across a football pitch?

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

they should have let them all jump in the back and then taken them back to France ..lol or is that a to low

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

This Thread is now closed for comments