Trade Shows - any advice or tips?

By : Administrator
Published 26th January 2015 |
Read latest comment - 2nd July 2015

About 9 years ago we exhibited at the business start up show at Birmingham's NEC. It was a large show, and we went to town on buying loads of freebies, from pens, whistles (), umbrellas, baseball caps and enough sweets to kit out the local cornershop. It was an interesting experience, but not really viable to be worth repeating regularly and since then we have just done small local and regional events.

But the time has come to do another major show, so the stand shell is booked, we have power, ropey internet access by the sounds of things, some ideas about creative, pop up banners etc.

But what about the give aways? Nearly 10 years on, have things changed? Do people still give lots of stuff out (or do you expect freebies?). Or is just throw out a few pens and a big jar of sweets?

Any ideas or hints on what would draw people to your stand, or get them to stop as they wonder by trying to avoid getting pounced on and sold to death by every other stand?

Competitions has been a good one in the past after visiting a few trade shows over the years, but it seems everyone does it now. Obviously a good way of collecting business cards, ie drop in the bowl and win an ipod or a marsbar, but be interested to think what other people reckon?

So have you exhibited or been to a trade show recently? Did any particular exhibitor stand out from the crowd, if so why? Anyone seen any eye catching creative that made you look twice or enticed you over?  Any hard won gotchas or things that didn't work (don't order thousands of bright yellow whistles, no body wants them!)

Any and all ideas gratefully appreciated 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

The giveaways are why I go to such events...

But, from a giving away perspective... know that people are like vultures, swooping around, trying to get whatever they can get their mitts on for free. 

If you can use pretty cool freebies as a lure, then really warm beverages as a trap for those who may be a prospect, you have time to deliver a pitch as hot as the cup they are holding, and duty bound to drink in front of you, whilst you convince them to sign up and invest.

There's no such thing as a free lunch, and just thinking of your freebies as not being free, but a conditional gate opener will bring a return on the investment of them.

Please dont go without freebies. Please make the freebies awesome. ;-)

The First Choice for First Aid
From Cardiff to Calcutta...

then really warm beverages as a trap for those who may be a prospect, you have time to deliver a pitch as hot as the cup they are holding, and duty bound to drink in front of you, whilst you convince them to sign up and invest.”

I like your thinking there  A big urn full of coffee, nice idea.

Steve Richardson

I've only been as a visitor but I agree that the freebies are what draw me in!  Any original freebies that are also useful are great.  Free food of some kind is also very luring! 

I'm part of a stand at the upcoming business show in Coventry and I'm really unsure what to take as my budget is limited.  I love grammar and spelling but I don't think everyone shares my enthusiasm sometimes,  proofreading can be a challenge to market!  

Funky badges were very cool at the Stratford show, but they were for the Shakespeare company I think as had quotes. Oh and quills!  A goody bag is also always welcome to carry all the free pens home in!

I hope it goes well.  

The one thing I am sure you won't do but what I can't stand to see is people sat behind their tables looking glum or looking at their phones or something else and not appearing to take any interest in passers by.

I have had stands and attended them, I quite enjoy them as I get to catch up with business owners and colleagues from around the area I haven't seen for months. It took me hours to get round one day - could not walk 10 yards without having to stop to chat to someone and I was a stand holder but took breaks to walk around and meet other stand holders as well. If the footfall is poor they are all you have!!

Memory sticks are useful to everyone, pens you can't have enough off, and if you can afford them, nice mugs .....but not the cheap nasty ones. Things that are useful and get used regularly so you need to replace them but means you see it more often. Things like tape measures and key rings get overlooked I think, cos once you have one, you don't need more of them, well not too often anyway. Air fresheners are popular too.

indizine
indizine

Memory sticks are useful to everyone, pens you can't have enough off, and if you can afford them, nice mugs .....but not the cheap nasty ones. Things that are useful and get used regularly so you need to replace them but means you see it more often.”

Target audience is Councillors, council staff and Trading Standards Officers, so thinking pens is an obvious one and we're waiting for some samples to come through.

Mem sticks is a good idea, didn't think of that, shall pass that one on to our recently recruited marketing manager 

Steve Richardson

Well we've just got back from our Tradeshow and seemed to go very well. Lots of possible leads, new contacts and conversations. Also good to catchup with familiar faces, customers and suppliers.

I don't think we will win any awards for stand design, but it did the job

But lots of free pens, sweets and a win a Kimble draw seemed to do the job. Certainly worked out a lot cheaper than some of the stuff we gave away in years gone by. But show seemed to go so well, we have already pre-booked for next years event, which is a bit closer to home at Telford.

Fauxpar of the conference, checked out of the Premier Inn (living the life!), but asked them to look after our suitcases, and we would collect them at 6, as the car was at the exhibition centre car park. 

Packed up last night, loaded the car up and drove out of Bournemouth, when Clive looked at me as we headed up the M3, saying one word.. bags! 

After some repeated profanity, and working out how much it would be to get Premier Inn to courier 2 suitcases, we turned round and headed back to Bournemouth and picked up our cases... pair of muppets 

All part of the rich tapestry of life...

Steve Richardson

......Fauxpar of the conference, checked out of the Premier Inn (living the life!), but asked them to look after our suitcases, and we would collect them at 6, as the car was at the exhibition centre car park. 

Packed up last night, loaded the car up and drove out of Bournemouth, when Clive looked at me as we headed up the M3, saying one word.. bags! 

After some repeated profanity, and working out how much it would be to get Premier Inn to courier 2 suitcases, we turned round and headed back to Bournemouth and picked up our cases... pair of muppets 

All part of the rich tapestry of life...”

Excellent - well at least it'll make it memorable!  

(glad it went well, though one question - did the Kimble really go down well? ;-)  )

did the Kimble really go down well? ;-)  )

Spectacularly well!

Originally looked at an iPad or iPad mini, but I got excused of being too extravagant  But as an icebreaker, it worked very well. People like to win things, and putting their business cards in a goldfish bowl started a conversation which is the name of the game.

Didn't learn from the NEC 10 year ago though and over ordered far too many pens! Still they will do for the next 5 events

Steve Richardson

This Thread is now closed for comments