VAT Number abuse - business owners beware!

By : Administrator
Published 24th April 2014 |
Read latest comment - 21st November 2014

Had a nervous meeting today with the HMRC Special Investigations team, who swooped on us.

I thought it was a VAT inspection, but assumed we'd get more notice, but when I was asked if we had been trading in scrap metal, I knew something was up! 

After a few tense questions, it quickly became apparent we weren't the Bulgarian Mafia 

So it turns out our VAT number has been hi-jacked, originally in January, where a fake website was set up using our business address and VAT number, and apparently we were exporting tractors into Europe. Then more recently it looks like we have got into the scrap metal game, and this week we've started importing stuff to Canada!

HMRC suspect the reason we've been targeted is because we display our VAT number on our website along with our business address and Company registration number. I incorrectly thought you had to as part of the requirements a couple of years ago, where you have to now display your trading address and Ltd company number.

Apparently the likes of High Street stores and convenience stores are also regular targets as they tend to display VAT info on their receipts.

So a lesson learned, and visible VAT numbers have now been taken down, but if anyone else is displaying them, then I'd recommend you also take them down. The only people who need to see your VAT number are paying customers.

If you do find yourself falling prey to this scam, don't panic, just simply log a call with ActionFraud. It's a quick and easy process, and once they have it logged, you don't need to do anything else.

Right time to change my underpants

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

DSR requires you to display your vat number. However, there is no DSR police and doubt anyone else such as HMRC or Trading Standards would bother as most businesses do not display it anyway.

indizine
indizine

DSR requires you to display your vat number. However, there is no DSR police and doubt anyone else such as HMRC or Trading Standards would bother as most businesses do not display it anyway.

”

I thought DSR did, but as HMRC advised me to remove it, I have  Would be an interesting scenario if I got penalised in the future for not showing it!

I think there is a variety of fledgling digital rules and policies, (cookie policy springs to mind) which are all unenforceable, and in some cases like this, can actually be harmful or detrimental to your business.

I guess government (or EU) legislation and the digital world will always be out of synch with each other due to the speed and flux of the digital economy.

Steve Richardson

”

Most of the time during the course of my day checking various websites i can't even find an address, let alone Company Reg number or VAT number!

Hopefully those Companies that don't display this info are more of a target to the authorities 

Clive

Hi,

Thanks for the 'heads up' on this, let's hope the scammers are caught soon.

M

Thanks,
PI

Hi,

Thanks for the 'heads up' on this, let's hope the scammers are caught soon.

M”

Interesting update on this, it seems someone indeed has been caught and arrested 

We're currently working with HMRC and the Police and I've got a couple of more cease and desist letters to send out for another couple of mickey mouse sites, but looks like we could have a result.

Never a dull moment 

Steve Richardson

Great! If we can be of help in any way just drop us a liline, other than that keep up the good work.

Thanks,
PI