Other means of advertising

By : Business Start Up
Published 16th November 2012 |
Read latest comment - 11th November 2013

Hi everyone, just looking for a little help/nudge in the right direction for a offline business. I've tried most forms of advertising leaflet drops, paid directories, local handy mags (didnt really work) and have a Facebook and twitter account. I've also sent emails out to local companies telling them about my services. My Google ppc has been the only one to get good results. I'm getting some vinyl lettering on my car in the next couple of days as another way of advertising. Has anyone got any other Ideas that I may of missed?
(dont get me wrong Im busy, but want it to be busier)

Many thanks in advance

MarkyW
Comments
Don't waste your money on any promo items. Nobody can properly advise you without knowing what it is you do.

indizine
indizine

Fr your kind information even you are also engaged in promotional act by putting your signature here on your posts...

Now then kids, don't make me take your promotional pen off you

So Mark, you say it's an offline business, but assume you are looking for on and offline marketing, judging by the success of your PPC.

What actually is it that you do?

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

You could try billboard advertising, have seen them advertised in Central London from

Thanks,
Barney

You could try a targeted direct mail campaign, but you'll need to be innovative and think outside the box – otherwise your letter will go straight in the bin.

The best example of an "outside the box" direct mail campaign I can think of was one I received from a real estate agent many years ago when I lived in the US.

As I recall, it was a plain white envelope addressed to me with just the return address (but no company name) on it. Inside was a narrow piece of card with a plastic disk roughly the size of a poker chip attached. The disk bore a single word: “TUIT”.

Puzzled, I did exactly what I was meant to do and removed the disk to see if there was anything written on the other side. There was. It said: Now you've got “a round tuit” give us a call... and had the realtor's phone number. Clever!

Local Trader

You've said you tried leaflet drops. I'll probably get some jabs for this, but other than online marketing, door hangers (as well call them in the States) have often given my local business clients the biggest bang for their buck.

Maybe try a variation of what you were using. I like Local trader's suggestion. If it has substance to it, people will not automatically throw it away because regardless of what it is (as long as it's not just paper), it will have perceived value. You can put anything in it; a pen, refrigerator magnet, envelope opener, a beer bottle opener, etc.

Make sure you put it where you know the consumer will see it. That's why we call them door hangers, although today, a lot of people don't use the front door. They come home and drive right into the garage since it opens and closes automatically.

I would re-consider this strategy. Just make sure the kids you hire to send out the door hangers don't just throw them all in the dumpster somewhere.

MasBro

Oh, and I just thought of another one. I'm usually not a big fan of direct mail, but what will definitely get your mail piece looked at is a cartoon. Everyone likes reading a cartoon. Just make it short (1-3 panels max) and it doesn't even have to be funny. In fact, funny can be dangerous because it's difficult to be funny without offending someone.

The only one I know of who was successful at cartoon humor without being offensive to anyone was Gary L****n with the Far Side cartoons. He was hilarious and didn't offend anyone, unless you are a cow.

MasBro

This Thread is now closed for comments