Will Google seller rating changes impact small business?

By : Administrator
Published 13th September 2016

If you haven't heard, Google has increased the threshold for Google seller ratings to appear, from 30 to 150 within a 12 month period!

What are Google Seller Ratings?

Seller ratings are the visual 5 stars that appear under the URL in a sponsor advert on the Google search results. eg:

By clicking rating (just after the stars) this will open up into a review page, listing the reviews and telling you where they came from. eg:

If you use Google Adwords (Google PPC) then seller ratings appear as an automated sitelink with your advert.

These aren't to be confused with Google Rich Snippets, which show review stars next to organic listings (ie no paid adverts) in the Google results. eg: 

So what is the problem?

The original threshold of generating 30 reviews in 12 months was more achievable for smaller and micro businesses, allowing them to compete using paid sponsor adverts with much larger companies and brand.

But increasing this bar to 150 is going to be too much for a lot of smaller firms. Looking at the example above, Procook have generated over 4000 reviews in 12 months. But if your not a brand or have numerous high street outlets, then you may struggle to get 150 of your customers to leave a Google review in 12 months.

If you use PPC and want to continue displaying seller ratings, then you need to look at your review generation process and make sure you meet the new targets.

Googles argument is it increasing quality by ensuring higher review standards, but I think it is a big blow for the little guys, who previously could compete with brand leader on near equal terms.

Has this impacted anyone?

Do you think it is unfair, or do you think it's a good decision by Google, and will increase qulaity and protection for consumers?

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments
This Thread is now closed for comments