Blogging is it worht it? If so how to blog

By : Forum Member
Published 26th February 2015 |
Read latest comment - 11th June 2015

Sorry in advance if a) this has been covered (has a quick look and didn't see anything though I could be looking in the wrong area) or B) This is indeed in wrong section.

My Question is about blogging.  First of all how many of you blog? Do you find it effective? I know the obvious benefits mainly with SEO etc. But what else does it help with? It something I been thinking about adding to my website for a while but I'm not great at putting my thoughts on paper so to speak and don't want bad grammar etc to make it look unprofessional so it hinders instead of helping. Is it only recommended if you can write really great or if it doesn't read like it was written by a Herald journalist but still has decent content still help? Any thoughts/experience on this would be great thanks

Louise

Louise
CEO Resonate Media
Comments

Hi Louise,

I pay someone to do all my blogging for me, they write a weekly article and i certainly see the benefits, she writes the articles which are then auto submitted to a dozen or so other social media sites including G+ I see the benefits more or less immediately and certainly overtime. The articles she writes appears regularly for generic search terms so I see the benefit. I use to write it myself but it is so time consuming and mind numbingly boring, I'd rather outsource it and know it was done correctly, in fact I just let her get on with it she does all the research into the particular topic and it works for me. She is in the business directory on here but I've known her for around 15 years, so longer than I've been on here myself...

Thanks,
Barney

forum avatarGuest
7th March 2015 5:52 PM

Hi Louise

I recently started writing my own, which is a legal blog. I've already found that the blog draws traffic to the website, draws traffic to the blog etc.

As Barney says, you can configure social media to auto upload. I'm beginning to understand that the bigger your net footprint, the more traffic you get. After a short time I'm finding it's worth doing, but I've always enjoyed writing. As Barney says, there are plenty of people out there who will produce content for you.

Good luck.

Dean

I too need to start blogging .. I am in the process of changing hosts but as soon as it is all sorted I am going to get blogging ... I was going to use fiverr to get some topics started

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

Blogging has zero effect on SEO from a "freshness" point of view. This is a myth. 

The benefit (can be) from the keywords you target in a post that go onto rank. 

Tom Buckland
SEO Consultant

I've never liked blogging, have never been any good at blogging and never seen any value in it.

In the old days, the blog was the way to communicate your message and have an audience interact with the author.

Then SEO took over the world and blogs turned into keyword spam and the blog churn started.  IMHO these days there are many more avenues for aspiring authors or people wanting to be seen as a credible expert in their field. Place like forums, Facebook or Google communities.

If you want SEO benefits, then you are talking about crafted content about a particular subject optimised for a particular keyword. This doesn't have to be a blog, but ideally needs to be on your website so you get the benefit. This can then be promoted via social media etc to try and draw an audience in.

But if grammar, spelling or style is a concern which you may not want on your main website, then social media is a better avenue. It's more relaxed, forgiving and has potential reach if you are talking to the right audience, eg Facebook groups, Google Communities etc. 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

This is interesting as I read somewhere that blogs are the thing to have on your website (or perhaps I was told by someone who writes blogs!) and I was panicking about having to include one on mine. Spelling and grammar are not my problem of course but time is and I am certainly not going to pay someone else to wax lyrical on my behalf!

As a proofreader I would agree with Steve and say that you don't want bad spelling etc on your main website as it undermines your credibility and professional edge, in my opinion.

I've never liked blogging, have never been any good at blogging

This is my problem too ,if there is 1 thing in my life I will never be able to do is write a paragraph that makes sense ,when I have tried it looks childish and not really worth much .Spelling isn't the problem I am just not a writer fix things yes ,writer no lol 

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

This is interesting as I read somewhere that blogs are the thing to have on your website (or perhaps I was told by someone who writes blogs!) and I was panicking about having to include one on mine......."

Perhaps they meant from a keyword perspective that could help rank the page in search engines.  

However, any blog that isn't consistently updated whether that be once a day, week or month can make a business look "closed" - so if you do decide to do it you need to be disciplined!

This Thread is now closed for comments