SMS Marketing

By : Growing Business
Published 30th October 2012 |
Read latest comment - 7th July 2013

We are thinking about whether to use SMS text as a way of marketing our products and services.

What are peoples experiences?

Are there any limitations / codes of conducts when sending to mobiles that are publicised as a business contact ?

(e.g. TPS sasy "The TPS can accept the registration of mobile telephone numbers, however it is important to note that this will prevent the receipt of marketing voice calls but not SMS (text) messages. If you wish to stop receiving SMS marketing messages, please send an 'opt-out' request to the company involved." - so the implication is you can send unsolicted SMS's but probably need to supply an opt-out? )

What are peoples views on SMS marketing, is it effective in some products/services, if so what products/services? Any views on what works (e.g. link to mobile landing page ) and what doesn't?

I'm not talking about fake 'according to our records you are able to claim

AlanF
Comments
Interesting one, no experience of actually doing it, but personally I find it very intrusive and highly annoying.

Email is email, you can set your spam filter, or a quick delete and it's gone. But a mobile will ring, or buzz, is distracting and when you find out its a marketing text, becomes annoying. In my view, that's a bad association to have.

I assume any sms marketing has to be opt in, but I still get them and go out of my way to ensure I opt out if giving out my biz mobile number, so plenty of busnesses don't care, or just sell your stuff on. Mind you it's well known that the TPS is a toothless agency, so I wouldn't worry too much about upsetting them

I suppose if it was highly targeted and maybe I'd expressed a semi recent interest in your services then you could maybe justify it.

What does anyone else think?

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

What does anyone else think?

I've never had an SMS marketing text that I wanted. Just annoying!

So what, in every ones opinion, is the most effective way to get the product message out there without being annoying?

AlanF

So what, in every ones opinion, is the most effective way to get the product message out there without being annoying?

I guess it depends on the audience.

Is this for existing or previous customers, or completely cold contacts?

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

I think you should tread carefully with SMS marketing. SMS is more disruptive than email - people tend to drop what they're doing and check their phones when they get one.
Therefore, it can be perceived more easily as spam - even when they signed up for it. Imagine getting a text about the wonders of "service X" when your car broke down and really you're waiting for a call back from the AA. You are not in control of the "context".
The other problem is that it is limited to a very short message, so you're limited in what you can do.
I think SMS works best when the customer gets some value out of the SMS - so not just marketing, ads, but notifications about free deals or discounts, or notifications about services they care about.

clevertim

I find SMS marketing more spammy than email marketing. I have responded to spam emails, but I have never responded to SMS spam. I find it more intruisive than email. I get a lot of SMS advertising.

Ryan

The other problem is that it is limited to a very short message, so you're limited in what you can do.

Although the text providers give you very neat mobile landing pages for the text to link to, as smart phones are so sommon, this gets more info across, short mesaage linked to web landing page

I think SMS works best when the customer gets some value out of the SMS - so not just marketing, ads, but notifications about free deals or discounts, or notifications about services they care about.

Yes, I think so, I think for restaurants etc drumming up business on quite nights etc.

Personally I'm not signed up to many (maybe just 1). I get dominos pizza texts, but I always ignore them.

Sort of answers my question.

AlanF

forum avatarjoliemartin
3rd December 2012 6:09 AM
Sms marketing is also very good for business promotions because mostly businessmen are using androids, so you can use sms marketing software for best business promotion.

joliemartin

forum avatarJackD
26th December 2012 1:37 PM
We are thinking about whether to use SMS text as a way of marketing our products and services.
What are peoples experiences?
What are peoples views on SMS marketing, is it effective in some products/services, if so what products/services? Any views on what works (e.g. link to mobile landing page ) and what doesn't?

I personally believe that SMS marketing is extremely effective and fruitful for almost every business. As far as limitations are concerned there are only region has a very minute influence. For people I can quote my company for raising sales by 3%.

JackD

This Thread is now closed for comments