Free Ipad 2

By : Senior Entrepreneur
Published 8th June 2011 |
Read latest comment - 4th June 2012

The title of the thread should have done it's job!

Looking for some feedback, advice and thoughts.

I am thinking about running a competition for one lucky person to win an Ipad 2 - and all they have to do in return for a chance to win the Ipad 2 is download a free trial of a PDF Software product I sell, try it and write a positive (hopefully) review on the software, place that review on a blog, facebook or any social media type and send me a link to it on a pdf they have printed using my free trial software, I will request that 2 keyword terms be used in there review and a url back to the site.

And I will pick the winner by choosing the best review.

What our your thoughts and what are the potential pitfalls?

tomsk
Comments
Where do I sign up? lol

To be honest, the thought of getting an Ipad is amazing, and would probably write the best review of the PDF I could. But then again I would have done so even if the chance to win the Ipad was not there.

I think its a good way to get publicity, and its a good way to get people to read your material and even if its a trial pdf it will give them an idea of the kind of work you do and the research you've put into the product etc.

Downfalls? You might have a few really great reviews, and you might have a few that are going to have bad grammar. OR you could get only one of these. Other than that I cannot really see that you would have too many serious problems?

Thanks,
Dreamraven

Just wondered about the judging who wins, clearly I would like positive reviews but can I say in the rules if it's not positive you will not be entered into the draw?

Also don't want to come unstuck with people claiming hundreds of ipads when there is only one on offer.

tomsk

Hiya Tomsk, interesting idea, but sounds like the primary reason is to generate reviews and feedback. Sounds good, but it does tread an ethical tightrope, as you are canvassing on a large scale to generate reviews, with the carrot of a gucci potential prize.

Does this infringe any new marketing rules, potentially false or coerced testimonials?

Be interesting to get someone like MagnifyB's input and be great to know how it goes

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

but it does tread an ethical tightrope, as you are canvassing on a large scale to generate reviews, with the carrot of a gucci potential prize.

Interesting you would say that Steve, is that not the case with most competitions that there is a carrot to gain some commercial outcome, or do you mean that the issue of someone giving a good review because of the the Ipad is a little bit borderline?

tomsk

Interesting you would say that Steve, is that not the case with most competitions that there is a carrot to gain some commercial outcome, or do you mean that the issue of someone giving a good review because of the the Ipad is a little bit borderline?

Just wondering if it does squeeze the rules a bit. I like the idea, and it could be a good vehicle to generate reviews, testimonials etc, just something about it just doesn't quite seem right.

Would it be better to maybe have something like, anyone who downloads a trial of product xyz stands a chance to win an ipad, and then use that as the marketing speel. If you are after some new reviews, just ask your current customers

As always, just my tuppence worth...

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

I agree with that Steve right up until I part with

tomsk

forum avatarshtstywatermeter
19th June 2011 1:38 PM
A good idea! How i wanna get a Ipad. You know, there are a lot of people queuing for buying Iphone or Ipad when they are to be sold here at Shanghai. You may know how popular they are! You came up the idea. Many guys will go after it. Because they can trial use your software and get a Ipad free. why not?a good marketing strategy. Go for it!

forum avatarJENKY
6th July 2011 2:30 AM
its too late for me

forum avatar9to5ERP
19th August 2011 1:17 PM
Make sure you have water tight T+C's.

AND make sure there isn't a way for people to 'cheat'

This Thread is now closed for comments