Need advice on promotion by e-mail

By : Forum Member
Published 6th January 2011 |
Read latest comment - 13th December 2012

Before any comments about it are posted, I am not working on a spam campaign. I would like some advice from people who promote services by e-mail. I will be sending information about my services to :
1- People who have already asked me to send it, by e-mail, after I spoke to them on the phone.
2- Companies that publish an e-mail address specifically for suppliers to send their info.

- Is it better or worse to design an e-mail with colour and company logo as opposed to a plain text e-mail?
- If adding photos (useful in my line of business) is it detrimental as the software at the other end can block either the pictures or the whole message?
- Is it better to provide a link to my website or add an attachment with the company information (like a PDF or a movie)? But, again, in my line of business, photos are needed so the attachment can be 2-3 MB in size.
- What is better to put or omit on the subject line so that the software does not send the message to the spam bin?

Thanks in anticipation.

Thanks,
sourcepro
Comments
It depends how you are sending your mail. If you are sending by volume using a third party, then they should do a text version of your html mail, so you cover all bases.

If your sending yourself, then I'd go with a HTML mail, although you will get a better response from a decent template. I'm sure you can google mail templates and get plenty of free ones, or use a provider like mail chimp who have free trials for low volume stuff.

I'd go for a link rather than attachments, and I don't particularly like receiving 3 or 4 mb emails

Subject triggers is one of lifes battles, and that goes for the body of the mail as well as the subject, but avoid obvious stuff like free, win, money.... If using a provider, then they will run it through their spam trigger filters for you. We have on our bulk mail sender, and some of the words that trigger the filter seem to get weirder and weirder...

hope that helps.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

forum avatarGuest
9th January 2011 2:20 PM
You have actually got 2 types of data lists here: warm and cold. And as such you really should send 2 separate campaigns. However you can get away with the same creative.

I suggest you use a newsletter type html email. below are the things you need to consider and ensure are on your email to gain the best possible result on the campaign send.

1. Personalisation - where you have the recipients name use it in the subject line and body content. For example but the person name at the beginning of the subject line to encourage opens. Use a welcome message in the body content.......Hi John, Hello John, Dear John etc.

2. Call to actions - make sure you are telling the recipient what you want them to do! " Call this number now", "Click here", "Visit our website www.xxxx". Failure to have decisive call to actions in your email will result in lower conversions rates. These call to actions need to be clear on the email and not lost in the body content.

3. Email/body content - this needs to be a teaser so enough info to get then interested in your product or service but without being the be all and end all of what you do. Remember people scan read so you need sharp sentence structure and not too much of it. Your cal to action will get them to interact with you further ( whether by telephone or website) to continue the sale.

4. Images - do use images in your e-newsletter with alt tags should these be blocked by the mail server. And as Steve mentioned a text version will be needed for the small percentage of recipients that an html email might not reach. DO NOT have your email as one big image........massive no-no and a mistake that many large companies are still making!

5. Other stuff - you need to ensure you have clear unsubscribe links, don't use attachments, the size of the email need to be keep to a minimum file size, testing across major ISPs and mail providers is essential to ensure you get through the spam filters and that the email does not "break-up or distort" (a distorted email will simply show your business and company in bad light - and you don't want that!! )

Hope that helps

You have actually got 2 types of data lists here: warm and cold.....

Very good information, thank you

Thanks,
sourcepro

Send emails in newsletter format to your clients or targeted clients. Don't use software, send it manually one by one. It takes time but hopefully your email would not be in clients spam or junk folder.

MontiC

forum avatarGuest
14th January 2011 3:17 PM
Send emails in newsletter format to your clients or targeted clients. Don't use software, send it manually one by one. It takes time but hopefully your email would not be in clients spam or junk folder.

Sending emails manually will not stop the email from going into the recipient's junk!
And if you want to portray your business in a professional little manually will not work.........sorry!

Sending emails manually will not stop the email from going into the recipient's junk!
And if you want to portray your business in a professional little manually will not work.........sorry!

We sent out 45,000 mails today, I'd be sat here for the rest of my life

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

forum avatarGuest
14th January 2011 7:02 PM
We sent out 45,000 mails today, I'd be sat here for the rest of my life

You also would have suffered from a very sore finger from pressing send constantly!

Try to send them by using outlook, try time sending option. I've tried it, mostly my clients replied me over my emails.

MontiC

forum avatarOriview
12th March 2011 11:23 PM
It depends how you are sending your mail. If you are sending by volume using a third party, then they should do a text version of your html mail, so you cover all bases.

If your sending yourself, then I'd go with a HTML mail, although you will get a better response from a decent template. I'm sure you can google mail templates and get plenty of free ones, or use a provider like mail chimp who have free trials for low volume stuff.

I'd go for a link rather than attachments, and I don't particularly like receiving 3 or 4 mb emails

Subject triggers is one of lifes battles, and that goes for the body of the mail as well as the subject, but avoid obvious stuff like free, win, money.... If using a provider, then they will run it through their spam trigger filters for you. We have on our bulk mail sender, and some of the words that trigger the filter seem to get weirder and weirder...

hope that helps.

what a third party would you recommend to use, we are looking to carry out a newsletter campaign like this as well

many thanks in advance,
Jane

This Thread is now closed for comments