forum avatar

Do you read flyers through the post?

By
Published 4th October 2010 |
Read latest comment - 8th May 2012

As I am a business start up, and need to target local customers rather than national, I was thinking of methods of getting my name out there.

One option was to get some flyers printed and distribute these to home workers, small local businesses? (I'm setting up a bookkeeper)

As you all have your own businesses... would you take notice of flyers through the door if they were addressed to you (not left inside a newspaper)? Do any of you use the services of a bookkeeper, or do you just pass everything to an accountant at the year end (or do the work yourself)?

Any input would be appreciated.
Comments
I get occasional flyers through the door, at home, one that works well is for a local garden handyman, but its down to your business type.

I'm guessing for something like you, your best bet is online advertising. You need to target areas where small businesses congregate. I know small designers who do things like banners etc live on places like here, business forums, and become well known, so generate trust and in the process build repeat business from recommendations.

Why not make yourself the online accounts voice of authority, so people reading your forum posts get to know you and trust you, which is vital when it comes to outsourcing confidential info. Back this up with a simple but professional looking site, and you're on a winner.

I know on the UKBF, there is a book keeper girl who is online all the time, answering questions, generating topics of discussion, and has a loyal following which is certainly supplying her with leads.

Obviously I want you to be our resident MLF book keeping guru, but there a number of small business forums like us, which are easier to establish yourself on rather than a huge board like the UKBF.

We did use a book keeper, currently we now do it in house, but if circumstances changed, I'd consider using one again, but that trust element is critical, and it would be (as with most of our suppliers) someone I've met on one of various business forums.

Another idea would be partnership deals, maybe with VA's. A company already using a VA is going to be an ideal candidate to outsource book keeping work, which a VA wouldn't be qualified for. Could be a mutual 2 way partnership, or pay for leads, just an idea

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

forum avatarGuest
4th October 2010 12:13 PM
As I am a business start up, and need to target local customers rather than national, I was thinking of methods of getting my name out there.

One option was to get some flyers printed and distribute these to home workers, small local businesses? (I'm setting up a bookkeeper)

As you all have your own businesses... would you take notice of flyers through the door if they were addressed to you (not left inside a newspaper)? Do any of you use the services of a bookkeeper, or do you just pass everything to an accountant at the year end (or do the work yourself)?

Any input would be appreciated.

What you are describing above, is more of a direct marketing campaign rather than a flyer campaign as you need to target your audience rather than marketing to a mass.

As you are wanting to keep this local, I would advise you to make yourself a list of businesses in your target location and fit your criteria and send via the post either a letter of a letter with a flyer.

forum avatarGM Bookkeeping
4th October 2010 12:31 PM
Thanks Steve and MagnifyB,

I totally understand you on the trust aspect. I have a few leads that I am going to chase up who knew me through my employment, so they know how I work etc. When my employer of 9 years retired, he sold his business to another firm of accountants, but stipulated that my contract was also part of the business deal (lucky for me) so my employment was treated as a TUPE transfer. In the process of the buyout, some customers have continued to use the new accountants, but some refused to. Because of conflict in interests and also legal position, I wasn't able to contact any of these customers until I knew that they left the accountants on there own accord.

This information came to my attention when I got back from maternity, so I think its time to contact them. If I can't help them, then hopefully they will pass my details on.

I do have a good reference from my employer when he retired, so I may consider putting some aspects of it on my website to try and encourage trust. (The website by the way in WIP, and is due for a re-design)

I am in the process of making a database of local businesses / homeworkers so I can target them directly. Using various sources such as online directories and paper directories. I am aiming to send about 10-20 flyers off each week to see if it generates any interest.

I appreciate that its not something that will happen over night, but got to start somewhere right?

All sounds very positive.

For info, I've done my own books for years but started off having them done by a firm of chartered accountants.

Would it be useful to make contact with the local organisations involved in assisting start-ups and offer a (limited) query answering service to new businesses? Eg 5 questions answered, then let me quote to do your books??

Linda
CareersPartnershipUK

forum avatarGM Bookkeeping
4th October 2010 7:53 PM
Would it be useful to make contact with the local organisations involved in assisting start-ups and offer a (limited) query answering service to new businesses? Eg 5 questions answered, then let me quote to do your books??

Thanks for the idea, not really considered this, so I will definitely give it some thought.

I worked for a chartered accounts for 4 years, with a CIPFA qualified proprietor for 9 years and now with chartered accountants again, so I have inside knowledge of how much they charged per hour of work and also their attention to detail when it came to bookkeeping. I strongly believe that having the accountants do all the work from record keeping to final accounts is definitely not cost effective.

for me, it makes sense to let the accountant do our books. I try to keep costs down by making it easier for him by keeping good/clear records etc.
In terms of flyers, we have hand delivered in our local area and the response has been very good. I guess it is important to make your message clear because much like the net/web pages many people will only "scan" a flyer and if they don't see anything of interst within a few seconds it will end up in the bin!
good luck

Thanks,
Ray Priestley

I can tell you I have looked at flyers that have come to my home and office. Sometimes I will save it if I think I may need the service at some point. I have also taken up service through that way.

I am not saying it works all the time. However, it needs to be good, and eye catching, to grab my attention.

Ryan

Flyers are by luck... ....if it happens to be about something I'm looking for at the time I may consider otherwise straight in the recycling bin!

I sometimes read flyers that are left on the door. As far as accounting, I find that it's probably best to keep good records and hire a good CPA.

Scintillion

This Thread is now closed for comments