Anxiety attack?

By : Forum Member
Published 25th January 2021 |
Read latest comment - 11th February 2021

I am having a hard time dealing with these anxiety attacks and I always experience excessive and intrusive worrying that disrupts my daily functioning, fatigue, the difficulty of concentrating on one certain object, and trouble sleeping. This really irritates me and I don't know how to control my emotions. If you were me, how do you calm an anxiety attack or making it disappear completely?

redstone
Comments

Hi, I'm really sorry to hear that. I've had the same with anxiety so I can relate to it.

Firstly, during an attack try and acknowledge to yourself that's what it is. It will help engage the more rational part of your brain. The more often you do it the easier it becomes. It's not always possible though. 

Secondly, try and find 5 things you can see, 4 things you can hear, 3 things you can smell, 2 things you can touch and 1 thing you can taste. Sounds weird but it REALLY helps. 

Also think about things that might help in general. Exercise, music you enjoy, a TV programme you like, reading, a nice meal, gaming,  time talking to a friend. These acts of self care can really help you overall.

I saw a therapist for a while that I paid you myself and that helped me view it a bit differently, which has lessened the attacks. 

MIND has lots of free courses online you can look at as well, I'll grab the link for you. 

Hope it helps. 

https://www.recoveryandwellbeing.co.uk/

Likewise sorry to hear that. Check out Rebeccas link (was broken, just updated it), some good stuff on there.

I worry about my kids anxiety and mental wellbeing (and all kids to be honest). It's really tough on them, homeschooling (we try!), but mainly the lack of interaction and community with their peers. The lack of exchanging and sharing ideas. They try over zoom, but it's clunky, ad-hoc and no substitute for real contact.

One of mine is struggling more than the other, which is manifesting itself through temper and losing control. So after a suggestion from someone else, I bought a £15 inflatable punch bag off Amazon with a £12 set of boxing gloves. What a difference, the drill now is rage developing, then head upstairs and batter the bag, which is about 3 times a day 

If it only lasts during lockdown it's money well spent. We also religiously go out for a walk first thing in the morning. Not very far, about a mile around the local village. But after bullying everyone out of the house, we all come back feeling refreshed, relaxed and ready for the day. It just seems to start us off on a more positive mindset.

In the afternoon I tend to go on a decent walk, 8 - 10 miles, just to burn off the frustration (and all the weight I put on from the first 2 lockdowns! )

But me personally I need to get out of the house. Get your headphones on, find an interesting podcast, music, learn a language, anything other than your normal work routine, put any worries aside and burn some energy.

Remember you're not alone and don't believe anyone who says they aren't struggling. 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

This Thread is now closed for comments