Welcome to 2019

By : Administrator
Published 2nd January 2019 |
Read latest comment - 11th January 2019

I hope you had a nice festive break and are recharged and revitalized for the coming year 

Thanks for the support over the last year. I know we have a lot of lurkers and casual readers, it would be nice to see more people joining in, but it's also nice to hear that a lot of people do look at the content on the forum and find it useful.

Late last year we did a survey of businesses which generated 180 responses and has absolutely buried us in superb feedback about how different industries approach marketing. From this survey it became apparent how many do use the forum, so we will make a bigger effort this year to keep it updated with useful content and archive some of the older stuff.

The amount of data collected has taken us by surprise, so we have been experimenting on the best way to visually present it, making it useful for new business owners and experienced ones alike. The plan is to get this uploaded before the end of January and we will discuss some of the findings in more detail on the forum in the weeks and months to come.

Let's look forward to an optimistic and positive year and sharing as many ideas and solving as many challenges and problems as we can 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

Had a great time over the Christmas festive holiday. Although just typical as as the holidays came to a close I started getting all chesty and loosing my voice lol.

For me sales wise it's been a terrible year and the worst ever, so it does leave me despondent and wondering if I should even bother doing it any more . It seems if you don't pour money into google they shut the door on you

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

For me sales wise it's been a terrible year and the worst ever, so it does leave me despondent and wondering if I should even bother doing it any more . It seems if you don't pour money into google they shut the door on you”

Keep the faith Andy. 

After doing Google PPC for 10 years and seeing great results, in 2018 costs started spiralling and conversions going down, to the point I actually culled it completely in September to see what impact it would have.

After looking at the stats, although sales were down, the difference between lost revenue and PPC costs wasn't that different! 

In December I relooked at the PPC campaign, reworked it, and touch wood the results have been really impressive and it's back to its old self.

One thing I've found, the quality of the Adwords reps has really gone down. They used to be really good, monitoring your accounts, showing you new functionality etc. But in the last 12 months they have been useless and it's been all about trying to get you on new beta adverts, increasing budget and spending money. They've gone from useful consultants to poorly disguised sales agents 

I've stayed away from the new ad formats, stuck with what I knew, set a CPA (Cost Per Acquisition) I'm happy with and currently it's going very well. I now also duck all Google adwords calls!

So maybe try something similar? Or is it worth exploring a new market, maybe ebay or Amazon?

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

I've looked though the SEMrush files and to be honest , I can see what's happening but I don't really know what to do about it.. At the moment I am trying to find a better hosting with faster loading speeds and am really thinking about moving my site over to prestashop (or a fork called Thirty Bees) but my test site isn't doing so well yet , 3 months in and only 1 sale lol..What I find frustrating is that even though I am uploading to google shopping and everything is fine there my products aren't showing up.So without spending a fortune I don't know what to do. I've had someone look already and they done some changes but still nothing showing after 3 weeks ..Although at least when I search for 1 of my main search terms it's climbing slowly ,albeit it on page 3

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

Happy New Year! I have already started off with lots of new enquiries, it still astounds me how much I get form a cheap Gumtree advert! I need to sit down and get together a proper marketing plan though as I am a bit too responsive at times, but I hate wasting money on adverts that do nothing I left some business cards in a cafe in Liverpool and got  a call though which makes me realise I need to get out there and promote myself a bit more locally. The key word is FOCUS this year, as I want work on building up specific parts of my business. 

I hope everyone had a chance to get a break, I also lost my voice Andy! Although I didn't feel ill luckily. 

This Thread is now closed for comments