Mince Pies

By : Forum Member
Published 22nd November 2016 |
Read latest comment - 2nd December 2016

Yes, I've bought my first pack already.  Asda Baker's Selection 4-pack.  I prefer the flat ones to the deep filled variety.  Not too sweet, dusting of icing sugar but pastry a bit heavy (may benefit from a few seconds in the microwave?).  M&S ones far too rich, the all butter pastry doesn't help.

Having given up making my own because I don't have the right touch for making pastry, I do take note of what does well in taste tests.  I've bought Greggs for four years now and never been disappointed, except last year when they didn't do the viennese style ones (topped with a shortbread type mixture).  

Anyone else succumbed yet??

JuliaP
Comments

I'm not a big fan of them myself- bit sad really because all my family can't get enough of them. It is all about the new Terry's Chocolate orange flavoured Mcflurry at McDonalds that is coming out, looks delicious    

Thanks, Rachael Kennedy
MLS Marketing Team

Why are they called mince pies , as there is not a single piece of mince in them

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

Why are they called mince pies , as there is not a single piece of mince in them

Unfortunately the mince pie is something else the Brits have managed to mess up, originally it did have meat inside, but it never quite tasted right with a great big dollop of cream on top.... So as Brits prefer the more 'rotund' figure the meat was removed and replaced with fruit... The same applies to the Xmas pud the original pudding has no resemblance to what people scoff now.... I'm not sure but I believe the 'pudding' was originally the festive dinner.... nothing to do with modern day turkeys either.... they came from America... 

Thanks,
Barney

Thank

I remember when I was put off for life as a child ,my Mom said to me would you like a mince pie ,thinking yummy mince and to my disgust to tasted like ,er poop lol ...Have never eaten 1 since 

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

Revolting things!!!! My husband loves them but really they make me want to vomit. All my worst things in one pie. 

Now it's December, it's green light go for mince pies, November was too early 

My granny bless her made the best, but Tescos will do, need to be hot with custard 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

To be fair, I think kids make the best mince pies.... there's always something absolutely foul about them, either had the living daylights baked out of them, or there's nothing inside the slab of pastry your about to digest.... but you just haven't got it in your heart to tell them the pies are disgusting whilst politely asking if you can try another one.... ah Christmas.....

Thanks,
Barney

This Thread is now closed for comments