You let who name the ship???

By : Administrator
Published 19th April 2016 |
Read latest comment - 19th April 2016

A great piece in Marketing Week today about the dangers of big organisations handing over brand management to crowd sourcing and the public

If you haven't heard, all the fuss is about naming a new very expensive scientific research vessel. The Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) thought it would be great to launch a campaign to get the public to name their ship. Knowing what the UK population are like when it comes to humour and online irony, are they really surprised with the results?

The poll is now closed leaving the board with an awkward decision to either go with the public vote or face the anticipated social media and reputation backlash. Here are the results:

So the new £200m ship will be called Boaty McBoatface  Outstanding. Also liked Usain Boat  

You can read more about the story and other examples of crowdsourced brand disasters in Mark Ritsons piece: Boaty McBoatface proves the public would rather humiliate your brand than engage with it

Hmm I wonder what the board will do? Suspect a PR driven climbdown...

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

What a PR disaster.

Surely common sense would have dictated that they would have put a short list forward of 5 - 10 names and let the Public chose from those. 

Clive

I love the Mountain Dew story in Marks article. They held a public contest to name a new drink flavour which was taken off the air by execs, worried by the leading entry "Hitler Did Nothing Wrong". The power of social media when it goes bad!

Angela
My views & opinions are my own

This Thread is now closed for comments