Anyone used Squarespace?

By : Forum Moderator
Published 18th September 2015 |
Read latest comment - 23rd September 2015

My friend was going to create my website for me, he's a web designer, sadly 2 or so years on and we've not got it finished so looking at doing one myself with his help/advice. He suggested perhaps something like Squarespace? Anyone have opinions on this?

I am reluctant to pay for a professional fancy pantsy site as frankly I don't need one, I have got this far without a site at all (amazingly) and things are going well so I don't think wasting too much money on a website is the way to go. I don't need a shop or anything like that.

Thanks. 

Comments
forum avatarGuest
18th September 2015 9:56 PM

Rebecca,

To save you time and money, take a look at themeforest themes, these sites are already built you can preview the site before you buy and you can install the dummy text from there site files and you can edit as you go along....

Many people I have suggested this too its worked really well for them? maybe take a look and if tou want to chat about the process we can do?

Just a thought?

I think you can also install a wordpress script on your server (many hosting providers can do it for you via Installatron, just google their name + installing wordpress, and detailed instructions will come up).

Then, simply search for some templates (remember to put "responsive" in your search query, so that you don't get penalised by Google for not having a mobile-friendly website), and install them. It's really super easy and takes seconds.

If you get a template with "dummy text", you can simply edit it or start from scratch with a blank template.

Wordpress is really nice CMS, and there are many help notes/widgets/scripts all over the internet for you to use.

Fixed Fee Legal Services | Bespoke Document Drafting | Document Templates

I would say use wordpress as yes you can then find a template you like and adjust to suite your needs + it is free to setup (probably not the theme you want )

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

I'm going to swim against the tide on this one 

Never been a fan of freebie website builders or ones that offer templates and you limited ability to change or customise. CMS platforms like wordpress, joomla etc are great and allow you to build superb sites, but unless you download someone else's theme, and are happy making all the changes yourself, setting up SEO plugins, tuning etc etc, you will end up needing a web designer. 

Most people these days will say a website is critical for business. But is it?

I am reluctant to pay for a professional fancy pantsy site as frankly I don't need one, I have got this far without a site at all”

Looking at your own feedback, why squander precious time, resources and budget on a shiny website if your current marketing methods are generating business. A website needs to be managed and updated, it's needs to be found. Shiny websites with no visitors are as useful as chocolate teapots.

Facebook seems to be a good vehicle for you (business buzz word alert ) so why not capitalise on it. You have some ideas marketing wise to play on images with a typo, no reason why these couldn't be embedded into other articles or other networking sites, linking back to your facebook page. 

You've also got good reviews on there, and your FB page shows up as number 2 if I google "pay for precision" as well as your Google panel on the right hand side. Add some reviews to your Google page, capitalise on your FB page. Google sometimes shows review stars for FB pages now as well. 

Other than vanity, what extra will a website bring?

If you were looking to optimise for a specific keywords with an SEO strategy etc, then a web site would be essential, as would a budget. But I think you would be more effective adopting your current community/social marketing style IMHO.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Interesting.....I didn't expect that advice, although I like it as the whole website thing has been a bit of a headache so far and I don't even have anything much to show for it yet! I think I'll definitely out the idea on hold for now, where it has been for 2 year anyway... 

I appreciate the other advice on Wordpress etc. too but as my time is pretty limited at the minute not having to build a website is definitely appealing! 

And my reply is peppered with typos! Aghh. Need sleep

forum avatarGuest
21st September 2015 11:28 PM

Evening Rebecca,

If you like wouldn't mind helping you out regarding your website. WordPress is fre t install an to ca get a theme fro theme forest themes you like an they are eas to edit. 

WordPress jobs jobs in the easy to edi and create pag etc. Would recommend it.

Evening Rebecca,

If you like wouldn't mind helping you out regarding your website. WordPress is fre t install an to ca get a theme fro theme forest themes you like an they are eas to edit. 

WordPress jobs jobs in the easy to edi and create pag etc. Would recommend it.

”

Very kind of you but my web designer friend will be helping me if I do decide to go for a  self build website, which at the moment I'm thinking I won't. I'll keep my domain name in case I decide to in the future.

forum avatarGuest
23rd September 2015 12:47 PM

No problem and your welcome for the offer.

This Thread is now closed for comments