Opening Outlook attachments prompt for a password

By : Administrator
Published 16th October 2017 |
Read latest comment - 1st November 2017

This has been a really annoying issue over the last couple of weeks. As soon as you open an attachment using Microsoft Outlook, a prompt appears asking you to reenter your password.

Tried all the usual things like removing the credentials from credentials manager and a bit of googling showed up lots of other people having the same problem.

The issue seems to be related to Office 365 and a recent update (thanks Microsoft ). But there doesn't seem to be any resolution. People have eve tried re-installing office, deleting profiles and really intrusive heavy handed measures, all to no avail. 

The only work around I've spotted is to roll back the last update, but I can't be bothered. I'm hoping MS must be about to release a new fix.

So is anyone else having the same problem? Anyone received any magic fixes? 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

Sorry no . Ever since the stopped outlook express (going back a few years now) I use something else just as bad,incredimail

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

Microsoft have acknowledged this is a bug, I just wish they would hurry up and fix it  Really annoying!

Steve Richardson

Still no fix? Must be a tricky one, it sounds very irritating. Much like my laptop no longer going into sleep mode after Windows 8. 

Still no fix? Must be a tricky one, it sounds very irritating. Much like my laptop no longer going into sleep mode after Windows 8. 

Well not so much fixed, but there is a work around to stop it from happening, revert to an earlier build. Just applied it, took a couple of minutes to download and install.

For anyone who has the same problem:

Outlook known issues in the Oct 2017 updates

ISSUE

Outlook 2016 On Premise users are prompted for credentials when opening email attachments. This occurs after updating to Current Channel build 16.0.8431.2079.

Do the following to revert to an earlier build:

Open a command prompt window.

At the command prompt, run the following commands:

cd %programfiles%Common FilesMicrosoft SharedClickToRunofficec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.8326.2107

Steve Richardson

This Thread is now closed for comments