Venturing into the world of Facebook advertising.

By : Forum Moderator
Published 30th July 2015 |
Read latest comment - 24th September 2015

I've had no success with specific adverts before but I've barely tried tbh! So I am giving it a go, albeit with a small budget, so let's see what happens!

I had my first attempt rejected for too much text so going for a different approach with a cute photo as my demographic for this one is mums going back to work.

I'll let you know how it goes...I can see tweaking the ad becoming quite an addiction!

Comments

Please do should be interesting to see how it goes

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

Good for you 

Bit of a pain the graphic/text rules, always catches me out. You can have a graphic with some text, but the text can't be the majority of the image. So have a headline with the rest as the image.

Takes a bit of trial and error. Remember to target your audience. That's the one really good thing with facebook, you can really tailor your audience.

eg, for proofreading, you may want to target web designers, who might subbie you, so you could add web design or content creation as an interest, then limit the age to maybe 23 - 55. Any younger, they are unlikely to run a business so it will be a hobby, any older and they aren't probably interested. Just a high level example.

It's applying this kind of logic that can save a fortune in untargetted clicks. Takes some time to research your ideal target audience, but once you have that data, it's priceless and you will see your cost per conversion decrease.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

I think it's a bit of a school boy error as I'm only set it up to target for likes on my page. I think perhaps I should have just boosted a post? We shall see.

With this one I have very specifically targeted mums who may be going back to work as it's for a CV revamp service. Just as an experiment as it's a new service I enjoy doing. I was unsure how to target a service so the advert obviously talks about it and then it links to my page. I guess I'll soon see if it's worth any money. 

I shall experiment with a web designer type one next I think. 

Changed it to boosting a post. Same photos with text added. Got a 9/10 relevance rating from Facebook but unsure if that actually means much. Have had 3 enquiries and one sale so far. It's low revenue so need a few more to make it worthwhile but something is happening at least!

Have had 3 enquiries and one sale so far. It's low revenue so need a few more to make it worthwhile but something is happening at least!”

Sounds really promising, be interested to hear how you get on. Have played with facebook adverts, but steve normally runs our campaigns. Need to get a better understanding about the targeting.

Angela
My views & opinions are my own

It's really quite in depth with the targeting which is very useful. Still only one actual 'sale' so far though...

Good for you 

Bit of a pain the graphic/text rules, always catches me out. You can have a graphic with some text, but the text can't be the majority of the image. So have a headline with the rest as the image.

Takes a bit of trial and error. Remember to target your audience. That's the one really good thing with facebook, you can really tailor your audience.

eg, for proofreading, you may want to target web designers, who might subbie you, so you could add web design or content creation as an interest, then limit the age to maybe 23 - 55. Any younger, they are unlikely to run a business so it will be a hobby, any older and they aren't probably interested. Just a high level example.

It's applying this kind of logic that can save a fortune in untargetted clicks. Takes some time to research your ideal target audience, but once you have that data, it's priceless and you will see your cost per conversion decrease.”

I have a question for you... I used cute dogs and children to appeal to the mums, what would appeal to geeky web designer types? 

$64 million dollar question

Maybe you are looking at it from the wrong angle.

Instead of thinking of a cute image, look at it as a sales message. You can still have text in the image, it just can't be the main focus.

Proofreadings a tough sell, most people can read and write, and use a spell checker, and most people wouldn't consider the expense of asking someone else to do it for them.

In the same way most people can drive a car, but there are times when you really need a taxi

So maybe concentrate on the value of having your web content professionally checked. Maybe two images side by side showing a call to action, one of them with a typo. Then something cheesy like "Frank wondered why sales were down 37% since the new website went live..." Be proofread from only £xyx.

Here's one currently in my timeline. Not endorsing Fiverr, but it's a good example of how an image conveys a message, even with minimal or no text. A simple headline which you will scan read, and you know exactly what this is.

If you are in the market for a 'toon version of yourself, then maybe you'll click the link. Out of thousands of page impressions, only takes a few clicks to make it worthwhile.

Get the creative juices flowing

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Thanks Steve, I still haven't got round to this as I've been busy with work (which is good). I'm no good at the call to action thing, I guess having no website to direct to isn't helpful. People can just message on FB or email. 

Messing about I did this, but need a call to action...won't pass FB rules either I doubt.

This Thread is now closed for comments