Facebook Help - If You Can

By : Forum Member
Published 3rd July 2015 |
Read latest comment - 7th July 2015

This is really for someone who is perhaps knowledgable on the inner workings of FB.

I currently have a FB page, which I access by logging into my personal page first (and always have done).  Now, I fairly recently had a new FB page done by a well known paper directory company, that have now gone into the digital marketing side of things.  That wasn't the only thing they did for me.  Anyway, the FB page they created for me, I could find straightaway by typing my company name + facebook into google, and it was the first result.

Since then, I have cut ties with the above mentioned company, and my page has gone.

My issue is that my own original FB business page, doesn't seem to be visible at all on google, no matter what you type.  So, how did they manage to create a page visible on google, but I can't.  Something I've missed?

Just to add to that, I can't remember if my own FB page has ever been visible or not.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks,
ITGeek007
Comments

hmm, so said company created a Facebook page which was in effect rented to you. Naughty  

It depends on what your expectations are search wise. eg, we rank for the first 4 places if you type in "my local services facebook".

But in reality no is going to type that in, so its nothing more than vanity. Any other search will bring in actual site results rather than facebook. I'd be gutted if our FB page turned up above our website.

Why are you keen for your facebook page to be ranked on Google? Facebook is a separate platform with different exposure possibilities, obviously with a social bias, but I would have thought you would have more promotion and conversion control from your own website rather than promoting a social media platform? 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

hmm, so said company created a Facebook page which was in effect rented to you. Naughty
Yep, as well as distributing my details across hundreds of various business directories, apparently.
  I broke away from the contract for a number of reasons, one of them being that I didn't agree with the contract itself... long story.

Why are you keen for your facebook page to be ranked on Google?
Why not?  Yes, I agree it's a separate social media platform, but surely it's extra exposure?

but I would have thought you would have more promotion and conversion control from your own website rather than promoting a social media platform? 
True, you would think so anyway.   However, with respect, I feel that's hardly the point.  Why would you/do businesses bother with Fb pages in the first place?  To promote their business, yes?

Although I can't give you any examples, I believe I have come across business FB pages on Google.

Really, what i was trying to get at was the principle of how they actually did what they did,  but I guess I'm probably never going to know.

Thanks,
ITGeek007

but I would have thought you would have more promotion and conversion control from your own website rather than promoting a social media platform? 

True, you would think so anyway.   However, with respect, I feel that's hardly the point.  Why would you/do businesses bother with Fb pages in the first place?  To promote their business, yes?

Although I can't give you any examples, I believe I have come across business FB pages on Google.

Really, what i was trying to get at was the principle of how they actually did what they did,  but I guess I'm probably never going to know.”

Yup plenty of FB pages are indexed by the Google god, and I suppose in answer to your question it's going to be the same SEO strategy as you would employ for your own site, high quality links pointing at it etc. The firm in question will no doubt have a network of high value links that they just squirt at your FB page, which was why it was ranking.

People have mixed views about FB when it comes to business. Me personally I think its a useful platform and we've seen good leads, promotion and traffic come from it. But it's come from the facebook platform, not as a result of out FB page showing google.

I want FB traffic to end up on our site, and any Google traffic to end up on our site, not sent to FB. So from a marketing point of view, I would invest the time and energy marketing my site, rather than a social media platform. But in parallel use social media to market my business and send traffic and enquires back to my site.

Just my perception and how I do things, doesn't make me right, just passing on my 5 pence worth. 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Why are you keen for your facebook page to be ranked on Google?
Why not?  Yes, I agree it's a separate social media platform, but surely it's extra exposure?

Sure! Can I ask you how many likes have you got? What's your activity out there? Sometimes, if you created the page long ago Google may have disregarded it as irrelevant because of lack of meaningful content. Have you looked at that issue?

I think if the name on the FB page is good and you'll have a fair amount of likes, this should be picked up by Google in no time. 

Fixed Fee Legal Services | Bespoke Document Drafting | Document Templates

Sure! Can I ask you how many likes have you got? What's your activity out there? Sometimes, if you created the page long ago Google may have disregarded it as irrelevant because of lack of meaningful content. Have you looked at that issue?

I think if the name on the FB page is good and you'll have a fair amount of likes, this should be picked up by Google in no time. 

Facebook are as bad as Google with their goalpost moving. They change the likes that count and the level of exposure for posts all the time. Drives me mad! 

Not helpful, but just saying! 

This Thread is now closed for comments