Do you understand this page?

By : Senior Entrepreneur
Published 2nd October 2010 |
Read latest comment - 3rd February 2011

I am in the process of doing a micro site for a customer who wants to make clear how a simple product works.

Without giving you to much detail, as that would perhaps give you a guide to what I am trying to achieve, can you tell me what someone would be buying from this page and do you understand how the product would work?

on hold music

tomsk
Comments
The header (4P's) bears no relevance to music on hold so on landing I would be a little perplexed with that.

Next, it isnt anything different to any other web page selling a product. It explains the benefits and the product description, but I wouldn't say that it tells me how music on hold 'works'. Just that it does work.

I presume you are just practising on twenty ten template?

indizine
indizine

I'd agree with comments so far. The header shouts out "Marketing" with unrelated sub headings? . . and then we move down to see an over complicated and too wordy explanation of the product. By the time I get half way down I finally realise what it is you are selling. I don't think I'm abnormally dense (debatable?) .... but I do find your layout off focus and inevitably confusing
The product sounds very good and the way it works could be demonstrated in a few simple illustrations complemented by plain English copy.
Sorry for the apparent negativity but an appraisal is worthless unless it's honest and (hopefully) helps to point you in a better direction.

cheers, Paul Shotan: proprietor/designerwww.artworks-unlimited.co.uk
low cost, high quality custom graphics, website design and hosting.

Shotan

Hi Tomsk

I felt the graphic was irrelevant to the product you're selling - why not one of a business caller - hanging on on the 'phone and being "sent" selling messages?

I'd have preferred a layout set out on the following lines:-

Item (1) An explanation of the benefits to Customer of the product - eg keep your callers online until you can take their call; sell to them while they're waiting.

Item (2) How you deliver these benefits - Option 1, Option 2 (please explain what the sales / marketing value difference are between the options - I can't work it out instantly from the information you've given me)

Item (3) Other information
[eg * Messages last 5 - 6 minutes, giving you the facility to insert 6 - 8 different selling messages;
*Messages start randomly at different points, so on hold callers hear a different selling message each time they ring;
* These on hold systems plug into your existing telephone systems, using its phone jack, in almost every case - see our contacts page for further information.

Hope these suggestions help. From the point of view of your experiment, I'm a good guinea pig as I'm a 100% non techie!!

Best wishes, Linda

Linda
CareersPartnershipUK

forum avatarGuest
3rd October 2010 10:05 AM
The short answer is..... No!
All I see is marketing as the image is irrelevant to the product unless I scroll down and read. The message needs to be clearer.

Thank you all for your replies - points taken on board.

So really what I was trying to ask was - is it clear that to get this item to work you require to elements ie: the software and the unit below to play the software?

tomsk

forum avatarGuest
3rd October 2010 10:24 AM
So really what I was trying to ask was - is it clear that to get this item to work you require to elements ie: the software and the unit below to play the software?

I am afraid for me, the short answer again is, No!
Because you have pointed this fact out I can see this but joe pupil wouldn't get that message.

The line -
You will require the two components listed below for the music on hold system we supply: -
fades into obscurity due to the big blue
On Hold Music

Kerry

So your saying the graphic is telling you one thing and the text another?

tomsk

I agree with MagnifyB.

Linda
CareersPartnershipUK

forum avatarGuest
3rd October 2010 2:40 PM
Kerry

So your saying the graphic is telling you one thing and the text another?

In a nutshell, yes! My eyes are automatically drawn to the image which is not giving me the message that is in the text. If the image wasn't there or a more relevant image and a clearer header message was given I think I, like joe pupil, would get the purpose of the page.

But..........I have had to read the text to get the message (and not scan read as people normally do).

This Thread is now closed for comments