Business Books and Inspiration - Recommendations

By : Administrator
Published 13th June 2017 |
Read latest comment - 28th September 2018

Although a big reader, I was encouraged earlier this year to start reading more business type books. But like most of us with kids spare hours are few and far between, so someone suggested listening to audio books. Now the drive to and from work is filled with inspiration and plenty of fresh ideas, while not taking any more time 

Some of them have been absolutely superb and would strongly recommend you read/listen, challenging what you think you know and making you think smarter.

My current personal favourites are:

The E Myth by Michael Gerber

The E Myth takes you through a scenario of a struggling business, in which the owner is trapped as an employee rather than a business owner. The book charts the process from creating yourself a job to having a systematised business that you work on and runs independently without you.

Certainly resonated with me and I realised I didn't spend enough time working on the business as opposed to in it.

Entrepreneur Revolution by Daniel Priestley

I found this a fascinating insight into the mentality of how people view work, the world and business. Well worth a read, in fact I read it twice. We we are programmed into the industrial age, going to work for someone else, working hard for someones else's goal, so you can  retire, have a couple of holidays in retirement, play golf and die with dignity.

Daniel argues that this age and mentality has moved on and we are now moving into an entrepreneur revolution, and you shouldn't be ashamed of enjoying life now and working for yourself rather giving all your effort for someone else.

The 10X Rule by Grant Cardone

Grant Cordone seems to attract admirers and criticism in equal measure, but I listened to the audio book which is narrated by himself and you can't help but feel energised listening to his enthusiasm. I thought he spoke a lot of sense and his thought process in a nutshell is it will take you 10 times more effort than you think it will to achieve a goal.

So adjust your goals accordingly, increase them by a factor of 10 and apply 10 times more work to achieve them. It's better to only make 60% progress on a £10,000 revenue goal than a £1000 one. 

The Chimp Paradox by Prof Steve Peters

One of my favourite all time books and have applied it's teachings to my team and also to my home life. It's completely changed the way I deal with people, confrontation and now have a much better understanding of why situations occur and how to deal with them.

Prof Peters uses humour and day to day scenarios to explain how the human brain works, why we act as we do and breaks down complex brain science into simple easy to understand areas, the chimp, the computer and the logical brain. The chimp is the emotional part of your brain who is trained to fight or flight, is always on the defensive and is unfortunately 10 times faster than your logical brain. Understanding this is key to confrontation, negotiation and lots of handy techniques for recognising when your chimp is out of control and how to calm him down. He explains everything from road rage, unpleasant confrontations, to marital bickering or even affairs! Can't recommend highly enough  

If you go for the audio book, it's narrated by Prof Peters himself.

You can search for any of these on Amazon or Audible.

So always looking for more inspiration, has anyone got any good suggestions or read/listened to any decent business or self-help books recently?

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

Hi Steve, great post!

Here is a couple of books that have had a lot of influence on me:

The Lean Start-Up by Eric Ries. This is a phenomenal book which tries to remove much of the guesswork surrounding launching a company as possible and trying to implement a scientific approach to start-ups, which sounds crazy but it actually makes a lot of sense.

Blue Ocean Strategy by W. Chan Kim. This is a great book about business strategy and explores the best approach to launching and operating a business. The main concept of the book is about markets, and how you should attempt to create new markets with no / minimal competition where possible, or how to gain an edge in a competitive market.

Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill. This book changed my whole outlook on life and business perspective. This book will change your mindset and get you ready to prosper. Just read it.

Elon Musk by Ashlee Vance. As the title suggests, this book is about Elon Musk. A fantastic book that gives many insights about one of the greatest minds in industry right now, and his killer work ethic. An inspiration for us all, but also packed full of lessons.

If you recognise the necessity of reading then I recommend checking out http://www.chasing-status.co.uk/ and subscribing to our newsletter now for updates and a discount upon launch!

Thanks,
Mburke

Current book of the moment 

Absolutely first class. It's gives the history and background of the SCRUM project management methodology, from it's origins with Toyota, to how it rescued the failing FBI computer project. The bigger the team the more inefficient it gets!

If you ever wondered how these huge IT or construction projects go horrifically over budget or are doomed to failure, then this explains why, explores our human mindset and suggest a much more efficient way to manage large projects, small business or even use in day to day life.

You can buy it as a book for less than a tenner on Amazon, or cheaper as an audio or ebook.

amazon.co.uk/Scrum-Doing-Twice-Work-Half

Top stocking filler, 10/10 

Steve Richardson

Some of these look interesting but I find non fiction a hard genre to get into, I guess I've always viewed reading/listening as escapism. I listen to music in the car, my daughter would not be very happy with an audio book, she does like Kasabian though. 

Listening to something before bed might be good though, I'll have to see. Tried to get audible on a free trial but it didn't work and I've never revisited it, I really should! 

Listening to something before bed might be good though, I'll have to see. Tried to get audible on a free trial but it didn't work and I've never revisited it, I really should! ”

I'd never considered audible and always poo pooed audio books. But it was suggested that I'm sat in the car for an hour a day commuting, so I could be learning. Now I'm addicted!

As for the SCRUM book, I've started implementing the methodology this week and I can't believe the difference in output. Next plan is to get more white boards and nail them to the wall.

If you are bogged down in to do lists or easily lose focus like me, then this is a must.

Steve Richardson

I'd never considered audible and always poo pooed audio books. But it was suggested that I'm sat in the car for an hour a day commuting, so I could be learning. Now I'm addicted!

As for the SCRUM book, I've started implementing the methodology this week and I can't believe the difference in output. Next plan is to get more white boards and nail them to the wall.

If you are bogged down in to do lists or easily lose focus like me, then this is a must.

You know I work from home but I'm genuinely considering some white or black boards (I'm old school and they look cool) and using them for household chores and one for work things. I do LOVE a list. 

Not updated for a while, but always reading business books. Reread the Entrepreneur Revolution by Daniel Priestley, definitely one of those books you get more from when you reread them.

Biggest take away for me was "consumption and production". If you spend your life "consuming" ie watching TV, eating, staring at your iPad, web surfing or boxset binging, then you will achieve little and plod along. Where as if you become a "producer" ie you generate content, explore opportunities, actively push your business, networking or make the effort to keep fit, then you will become more successful. Lean in not lean back on life. All very stirring stuff!

One I'm reading at the moment is a take on the Scrum/Agile philosophy (which I now swear by for all day to day tasks and projects ) and explores the concepts of short bursts of productivity. It's written by some Google engineers and investors so they know what they are talking about and is a good read.

If you're familiar with Scrum, then this isn't that dissimilar. Some good ideas worth exploring but I'm still in the scrum camp

If you are interested, you can find more about the Sprint ideas here: www.thesprintbook.com

Steve Richardson