New record for number of start ups

By : Administrator
Published 12th January 2015 |
Read latest comment - 13th January 2015

Leading on from the FSB's report that the majority of businesses are poised for growth this year, Startup Britain and the Centre for Entrepreneurs think tank has confirmed 2014 was a record breaking year for new startups.

581,173 businesses were registered with Companies House, beating the previous record of 526,446 businesses recorded in 2013, and 484,224 in 2012. 

Top performers on the entrepreneurial map according to post code include Greater London with 184,671 businesses registered, spearheading entrepreneurial growth in Britain, followed by Birmingham with 18,337 and Manchester with 13,054. A clear upward trend in the number of businesses starting up outside of London is positive news for the health of the entrepreneurial ecosystem in Britain.

“Starting a business is easier, quicker and cheaper than ever thanks to new technology,” said serial entrepreneur Luke Johnson, Chairman of the Centre for Entrepreneurs.

“Entrepreneurs have higher profiles than in the past and are seen as role models. Traditional jobs for life have largely disappeared, as have occupational pensions.”

Startup Britain Report

Below is startup hotspot map for the last 12 months.

No surprises on the top 3 cities, but good to see a nice spread of new businesses across the UK.

Be interesting to see how long this growth curve continues. Be also nice to see a breakdown of lifestyle businesses, growing businesses and those that fold after 12 months.

But overall the picture seems promising, doesn't it? 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

The thing is it's a bit skewed as they're not all real start ups in that, many of those don't actually trade, are made dormant, and are struck off after 12 months. What they should do instead, if publish the figures for those companies who submitted accounts for their first full year. This proves the fact they did actually start and run a business.

At the moment though, all this info does is confirm they formed a limited company. I own a virtual office business and the percentage that start and close within or after the first year is high. I have said it for years from when I also ran one of the UK's largest enterprise centres, that only HMRC can truly confirm any trading start up numbers.

Forming a company does not equal starting a business. Even confirming Ltd Co accounts is only a reflection for the number of Ltd Companies and excludes sole traders and partnerships.

Most start-ups do not even form a Ltd Company, so the fact it uses those figures to claim the highest number of start ups in the UK is wrong. Don't get me wrong, it might be that 2014 was higher than 2013 if they still collated all of the real figures, but to base it on Ltd Co formation alone is misleading.

indizine
indizine

This Thread is now closed for comments