Boxing Day shopping ban?

By : Forum Member
Published 12th December 2016 |
Read latest comment - 30th December 2016

Was reading earlier that MP's will be debating later whether to impose a ban on shops opening on Boxing Day as more than 100,000  people online signed an e-petition triggering the automatic debate.

If you run a store, how would you feel being told you could not open? 

The argument for the closure is that people need more time off. The argument against is that Boxing Day sales are one of the busiest days for stores.

I used to work part-time in the restaurant trade - Christmas Day to me meant mega pay days, earning 4x the usual rate plus 2 days off in lieu. No idea what the current rules are but as its Bank Holiday, imagine at least TOIL would come in to effect?

Over reaction or are people genuinely working too many hours over the Christmas break?

Clive
Comments

Personally I can't see what the fuss is about. As a long as a business offer adequate financial compensation, and working hours are voluntary not compulsory.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Was reading earlier that MP's will be debating later whether to impose a ban on shops opening on Boxing Day as more than 100,000  people online signed an e-petition triggering the automatic debate.

If you run a store, how would you feel being told you could not open? 

The argument for the closure is that people need more time off. The argument against is that Boxing Day sales are one of the busiest days for stores.

I used to work part-time in the restaurant trade - Christmas Day to me meant mega pay days, earning 4x the usual rate plus 2 days off in lieu. No idea what the current rules are but as its Bank Holiday, imagine at least TOIL would come in to effect?

Over reaction or are people genuinely working too many hours over the Christmas break?”

That is redicilous, why one the earth would they do it?

Thanks
Chunky1

This Thread is now closed for comments