VOIP - do you use it, would you recommend it?

By : Administrator
Published 22nd October 2015 |
Read latest comment - 16th November 2015

Our steam powered internet connection to the office is finally being upgraded to fibre next week, after the information super highway which started in the 1990's, finally made it Alcester! We are very excited, imagine it, the thought of being able to run more than 1 internet browser at  a time, or transfer files bigger than 2KB 

So with our super duper warp speed access, I thought maybe it was time to look at phones and the Voice over IP revolution. 

On paper, it looks like we could halve our quarterly bills, from line rental and call costs by moving to BT Cloud Phones. But the bit I'm worried about is call quality. I've spoken to some people on VOIP and there is such a delay that it feels like I'm talking to Australia rather than someone about 30 miles away.

Also there is the hassle of current numbers, which I assume you would lose, and have to source new ones, so things like stationary, marketing materials, biz cards etc need changing.

Has anyone moved over to VOIP or a big advocate of it? Or anyone had any horror stories I need to be aware of?

Are VOIP phones just like normal landline ones? (other than plugging into a network port rather than a phone one) ie same sort of functionality?

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

I have no helpful advice but HOORAY for the new internet connection, I hope it has no teething problems. 

Currently sat in the office with no net as Mr BT has his spanners out, so running on iphones 

Just realised you can't access admin from the mobile, so shall attend to a couple of dodgy posts as soon aswe come back on line!

<edit - we have arrived in the 21st century! 83Mb/s download and 23Mb/s upload - huzzah! >

Steve Richardson

We did have BT VOIP until recently as part of an older broadband package, that was ceased when we moved and now we use VOIP from YAY.com

I like it, rings on my mobile via an app, iMac via an app. There's plenty of options for call routing but as there's really only me thats not something I use.

Call quality is not as good as landline, some delay is noticeable.

Thanks,

Thanks Nick. It's the call quality that seems to be the consistent issue, noticed a few offerings that have a noticeable delay. Maybe consumers aren't as bothered by this as we think they are?

I guess in the end it's down to cost, and you get what you pay for. 

Steve Richardson

This Thread is now closed for comments