Anyone getting auto logged out?

By : Administrator
Published 7th April 2014 |
Read latest comment - 14th April 2014

Have a report of user accounts getting auto logged out after 5 minutes of inactivity using Windows 8 and the Firefox web browser.

We're not using any auto logout settings, and unable to replicate the issue with any browser or Operating System combination.

Has anyone else been auto logged out from the forum? eg you've logged in, wondered off, or opened a new browser tab done something else, then re-visited the forum later on and had to log back in?

Proving to be an odd one to track down, so if anyone has the same problem, be much appreciated if you could let me know by replying to this thread. Ta very much 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

Right, firstly the problem also occurs in Chrome and IE as well as Firefox.

I note however, that if I don't close the page down in my browser, I stay logged in. It is only when I close the page down and open t again a few minutes later, that I find it has logged me out.

indizine
indizine

edit, it did log me out eventually but was about 10 mins though this time I didn't close the page down.

indizine
indizine

edit, it did log me out eventually but was about 10 mins though this time I didn't close the page down.”

Thanks for that Sandra, had sessions running all day unattended on IE, FF and Chrome, using different machines and different flavours of Windows, and none logged out! Obviously something not right somewhere 

Dev's having a couple of well earned days off, so shall add to his bug list, along with Social media links appearing to be the wrong way round (just updated yours).

Steve Richardson

Well I googled for this problem and one person recommended changing the bookmarked url in my boomark list, which is where I always start my viewing from. I had already done this once, but seems that it still kept the old mlf url path somehow. Now I have it as http://www.mylocalservices.co.uk/forum and we seem to be okay so far fingers crossed. Well ten minutes after closing the page i'm back in without having to login anyway. Will check again in half an hour and see if this has worked.

indizine
indizine

Aha, that makes sense. It looks like I was wrong, and we do log out if the session is left open, but I think it's something like 12 hours.

So I'm hoping your session should remain logged in today now you've updated the URL.

Steve Richardson

I'm afraid I spoke too soon, and I did get logged out again.

It is a p.i.t.a but I don't know what else to try

As i'm a daily visitor i'd prefer to stay logged in all the time as with other forums so are you saying we get logged out anyway after 12 hours?

ps I will try it on my other devices and see what happens there. Not ruled out that it's just this machine yet.

indizine
indizine

I think I may have misunderstood, so just want to clarify for when Paul our dev is back tomorrow.

Are you saying you are only logged out if you close the browser tab/session? As opposed to having the forum sat inactive?

I had assumed you meant it was timing out while there was a browser session running, even if it was inactive in the background. In which case, no you shouldn't log out, but I believe we have it set to auto log out after 12 hours of inactivity.

If you close the browser session/tab the forum is running in, then yes you are currently logged out, which is I guess is the cause of your frustration.

I suppose we assumed most people cache their usernames in their browser so they can log back in, but I'll talk it through with Paul and see if we can leave sessions logged in. I assume this must be dictated by your session cookie, but not my area, so I'll stop waffling 

Steve Richardson

I'm afraid I spoke too soon, and I did get logged out again.

It is a p.i.t.a but I don't know what else to try.”

Hot off the press from our developer:

"I’ve extended the session lifetime to 24 hours. It was set to 24 minutes or until the browser closed (as a security precaution)."

Can you let me know if this has resolved your issue Sandra.

Steve Richardson

More auto log out issues.

Well it seems the auto logout issue is still causing some problems, so over the weekend we are moving to a new session cookie based system.

This should hopefully once and for all, put this issue to bed! 

Steve Richardson

This Thread is now closed for comments