Incorrect number on my business profile?

By : Forum Member
Published 23rd August 2015 |
Read latest comment - 27th August 2015

Hello support,

I work my own small business and joined this directory to (hopefully) get a few more leads from customers.

Unfortunately, my business listing's phone number has been changed to an 'alternative number', though I requested this to be changed,e I was advised this is used for tracking calls and monitoring. Though other businesses seem to have been able to retain their own number so I am not sure why my business has been singled out, or if you follow calls only in certain business niches...

"We utilise tracking technology allowing us to track call usage and online traffic to the site. This involves us assigning a 084 number over your number.

These are not premium rate numbers. There is no cost or impact to you and callers only pay 7p per minute plus the phone company's access charge.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact the office.

I followed with (2) email request to correct my number or remove my listing (the remove button is not working) and had no response, hence my post in this thread.

My concern her is that from a marketing point of view, it could be possible that you  collect the leads from anyone looking for similar services on your directory and sell them on to other contractors. Though I am sure that is not the case. I do not see any reason you would need to change the number otherwise.I have never come across a directory doing this.

If you can change the number to my actual business number that would be perfect, it looks like a great community in here.

Kind Regards

Gareth

yorkshiredesigns
Comments

Hi Gareth

As per our telephone conversation, upon checking, we do not have any other email from you with the exception of the first inquiry.

We do ask ALL new customers to tick a box stating they have read the T's & C's, i accept that in reality that most people will not but all of your questions could and would have been answered had you looked at them.

A lot of directories use numbers to gather analytic's, some in the form of 08, some with nasty premium rate 09 and others (including a certain coloured directory)  simply use geographic numbers, but it is widely used and accepted this goes on.

We have NEVER and never will sell your details to any other organisation.

We would also NEVER EVER EVER harvest an inquiry meant for you and sell it to a competitor. Ive never heard of such a thing !

As i said on the phone call i am passionate about this company and the service we provide. We are not a big faceless organisation and a simple call to us would have resolved all of your queries.

The easiest thing to do would have been to delete this post but i am happy to reply to it and answer your points, as i believe i have done above.

Clive

Hi Clive,

Thankyou for outlining these points. Nasty premium rate numbers or any other numbers in place I have a distrust for so very much appreciated your taking the time to explain.

I confess I did not note the T&C's but my main issue was with the alternative numbers, which you took time to explain. Agreed that some nefarious directories use premium rate numbers or similar which I immediately treat with distrust and the cause of my concern.

Apologies for the rant.

I have removed my tin foil hat now. 

That you have left this public and answered in kind is great.

Thanks Again

Gareth

yorkshiredesigns

I think it says something about the dubious practises that may go on elsewhere and the general mistrust that you felt like that Gareth. It's a shame but I'm glad you spoke to the lovely Clive and sorted it out.  This site is very well run and very reasonable and honest, they just don't always wear suntan lotion  

The internet can be a bit like the wild west, especially in SEO.

No suntan? Easy. Just move to Doncaster

yorkshiredesigns

This Thread is now closed for comments