Time for an MLS overhaul

By : Administrator
Published 11th May 2016 |
Read latest comment - 12th May 2016

The current incarnation of MLS has been around now since 2012, so it's time to get the paint brushes out and give the site a metaphorical lick of paint.

We gained quite a lot of feedback, good and bad over the years, and trying to address as many issues as possible. This will mean a complete rebuild of the directory database as it doesn't cut the mustard any more, and allow us to have a cleaner less cluttered look.

Forum wise plan to keep it pretty much as it is, as the forum only migrated to MLS a couple of years ago. But if anyone has any more requests or burning issues, please shout.

Our business model is also changing, as we have gradually changed direction over the last 5 years, and flogging simple business listings isn't really a sustainable model for the modern directory. We do a lot more behind the scenes stuff now for larger organisations, providing database, review engine functionality, SEO and even social media, so it's time to look a little more respectable 

So if you have any requests for business listings or the forum, then feel free to shout.

Current changes planned include:

• Upgrading the review system, more options, and moving to a verification system.
  • Giving a lot more functionality to all business listings, and stopping Lifetime Listings (current ones will be honoured).
  • Completely redesigning the current search and dropping the current County based design, a throw back to 2005  Refreshing the visual look of the site
  • Giving more value and offering more quality content to business subscribers, expanding on the recent blog experiment.
  • Finally dropping the separate mobile site, which we have had since 2009, and moving to a single site design. 
  • Aim to drive more traffic, and generate leads for members.

We've already started, and the new review system is getting rolled out as we speak. But the major changes I'm hoping to have in place by the end of the summer.

When it's done, I'll ask for a website review and wait to get slaughtered as payback 

Disruption will be kept to an absolute minimum, front facing coding changes and testing happen out of hours, but hunting down all the bugs can be a challenge, so please shout if something doesn't work as you would expect.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

just received the email about it ...look forward to the new website look when it is all finished.

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

This Thread is now closed for comments