IT Disposal Market Research

By : Forum Member
Published 3rd October 2017 |
Read latest comment - 5th October 2017

Good morning everyone

I'm a total newbie so I hope this is ok... After being in the industry for 20 years, I recently took the plunge and set up an IT Disposal and data removal service.  I have all the relevant licences but I haven't started trading just yet although I intend to in the next couple of weeks.  I attended a new business workshop yesterday and one of the topics covered was market research so I am wondering if you kind people could help me out with this? My two key questions are:-

What are the main things you expect from an IT Disposal service?

What made you decide to use your current service provider?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks in advance!

Uniq-IT-Recycling
Comments

Hmmm I have no need for this service myself so I am not much help but in theory I think I would like to know how my IT was being disposed of, is it environmentally friendly, responsible and what guarantees are there that is correctly destroyed and the data can't be stolen.

Good luck with your business, preparing before you start is a great sign you will be successful in my book. 

Hi there, interesting line of business.

For our office I tend to take care of IT disposal. Old printers and any kit that can't be reused either goes in one of the big bins we have on site, or goes down the local tip for recycling. For any hardware that can be reused or still has a value, then it goes on ebay.

I tend to remove and physically destroy hard drives, rather than let them go for resale or worse 

Main thing I expect if someone offered to take it away is to pay minimal to nothing, but then we are only a small office. I did an IT contract for a clothing manufacturer many moons ago and all kit had to be destroyed regardless of condition. The agreement was the recycler destroyed all the kit but we first had to remove and take a hammer to any hard drives. I've no doubt the kit got sold on and the recycler made a fortune 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Hello everyone,

I think that it could be interesting for big companies that don't have time to care about such stuff or for example it is easier for them to find such kind of service. Probably it could work. You should search the level of demand first and try to provide such service to someone to see how it works. We can talk about it in text or words but I think practically you also would find out more.

Kevin Tracey

kev56

Thanks for the responses so far!  I think based on the information given and some other research conducted I am going to remove and shred any hardrives/ memory sticks etc.  Hopefully this will give more reassurance to the clients but will enable me to safely reuse the equipment...

Uniq-IT-Recycling

This Thread is now closed for comments