Air Ticket Taxes

By : Forum Member
Published 6th June 2017 |
Read latest comment - 7th June 2017

Have you ever bought an air ticket and wondered what all the letters and numbers mean in the fare structure?

A poster on Business Traveller recently bought a return ticket from London to Mykonos.  In the fare breakdown he had been charged £0.20 Angola tax by BA.  Naturally he was intrigued by this so contacted the BA call centre, who found it amusing but did come back with the answer, as did a fellow poster who is a travel agent.

It appears that the Greek Government collects 20p per passenger as a departure tax from many, if not all, of the Greek mainland and island airports.  It is then sent to Angola.  Nobody seems to know why but I don't suppose it's being used to improve things for the majority of the population in that country.  I've had a quick look at both Thomsons and Thomas Cook websites this morning but can find no mention that they do it.  Didn't want to ask direct and give them another reason to charge more for our flights/holidays!

JuliaP
Comments

How bizarre? So sounds like some kind of aid budget?

I'd imagine a lot of Greeks would welcome some of that investment closer to home 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

The story has moved on and in the light of recent BA IT problems, the real reason should not be a surprise.

BA is not sending monetary aid to Angola.  Years ago a tax was imposed for departures from that country so a cost code had to be applied within BA.  Many years later, the Greeks introduced this 20p per passenger departure tax from some of their airports.  The number-crunchers at BA, not realising it was still "live", allocated the former "Angola" cost code to this but forgot to change the explanation line.  

This may not be the end of the story as the BA-bashers on Business Traveller forum don't believe its the end of the incompetence being displayed at the moment.

JuliaP

This Thread is now closed for comments