Scam Alert

By : Forum Member
Published 19th January 2017 |
Read latest comment - 6th February 2017

Hello, Has anyone else had a phone from people claiming to be police or police federation?

Before Christmas I had several people from  Crime Stop Magazine.

Please look out for anything to do with policing portal ltd, PDLUK they are all connected.

Merseyside police are looking into this as well as Actin Fraud.

These people will call you up, are very chatty, talk very fast and give you a load of BS,

They will tell you that they have checked out your business background and you have been selected to feature in the next magazine and only the emergency services will be allowed to use your business.

I nearly fell for it!! Smelling a load of BS and had a dodgy feeling over couple of days that something wasn't quite right when they sent me the paperwork through the post, I did some googling and realised it was a scam.  

Luckily I never handed over any money.

These people are now desperate and stupid as they still continue to call and now claiming to be the fire brigade.

My response is to tell them "wait a sec, I'll give you my bosses number to call and it's the action fraud number I given them.

Anyhow can you pass the message on, I have put an alert message out on my website, as I don't want these scammers getting away with it.  

Kathryn x

Thanks,
Farmer Pumpkin
Comments

I've been aware of them for at least 15 years normally a Liverpudlian or Mancunian accent at the end of the phone..... haven't heard from them for a couple of years.... never bothered speaking to them just put them on speakerphone and take the Mick out of them whilst they waste their time and money 

Thanks,
Barney

Hi Kathryn

I'm afraid this is as old as the hills and a long established business scam that won't go away. You can get a flavour of the history from a post that started in 2011

Charity and Police Magazine Advertising SCAMS

For some reason the North East is the home to these scams. Over the years we have actively fought them, worked with Trading Standards and the Police, but they are like a multi headed beast and re-appear months later under a new name.

Trading Standards and the Police have their hands tied trying to chase these scams, mainly from reduced resource and reality you can't really stop it.

Only way it will stop is for business owners to wise up, but unfortunately with thousands of brand new businesses every year its rich pickings, as someone who fell for it myself 10 years ago, there are plenty of naive and rooky business owners 

In nutshell though, never agree to anything from a cold call, do 5 mins worth of research and if interested, phone THEM back. If you can't, they won't give you a number or try pressure sales, hangup and move on.

Just need to somehow communicate this to every single new business owner and this scam will naturally die. Unfortunately looking at the date of my original post, it shows no sign of dying off anytime soon... 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

I am already aware of this. Because some of my friends had already got this call saying claiming to be police or police federation. But when they understand about this. They aren't interested anymore. And share this news with me.

Sandremike

This is an old one!

Another more recent is PayPal.  I've received a couple of "payment notifications" to a John MacKenzie.  Took a while for PayPal to send me their free UK phone number so that I could discuss this with them.   They are aware of it and I've closed my account as a precaution but I know that some of you may not be able to do that.  

The e-mails look legit until you read the "from" e-mail address.  

JuliaP

This is my favourite one I've had recently. They are actually getting better visually, but the little scammers just can't spell!

What they need is a proofreader, there's a whole new market out there for you Rebecca 

Steve Richardson

I had that one the other day and another from CPS enforcement ltd for parking on private land.... Apparently they got the vehicle details from DVLA..... Which is a bit odd as the vehicles I currently have belong to Enterprise....... I assume the link takes you to a payment site? Never bothered to click the link myself........

This is my favourite one I've had recently. They are actually getting better visually, but the little scammers just can spell!

What they need is a proofreader, there's a whole new market out there for you Rebecca 

Thanks,
Barney

I assume the link takes you to a payment site? Never bothered to click the link myself........

”

Never click it, it will be either payment or a malware link. By sheer co-incidence the first one of these I had was a day when Clive had a couple of meetings in London, so nearly caught me out. 

If they spell checked and used a more plausible link, you'd be more likely to fall for it. Hmm maybe a new arm for the business, scammer consultancy? 

Steve Richardson

This Thread is now closed for comments