Reverse Graffiti Advertising - Legal, Illegal or just un-ethical?

By : SEO
Published 2nd February 2016 |
Read latest comment - 9th February 2016

Don't think I've ever been in the Legal part of the MLS forums before.

I'm looking for a bit of information on "Reverse Graffiti" and the legally / illegally or it. There seem to be conflicting views with the overall thought process being cleaning something cannot count as vandalism but would like some information from a legal bod on whether you could actually be prosocuted for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_graffiti 

Either way as a marketer I think its cool and saw my first ever one last week in Cardiff  what does everything think?

Tom Buckland
SEO Consultant
Comments

This just raises more questions too: http://landarchs.com/reverse-graffiti-activism-art-vandalism/

Tom Buckland
SEO Consultant

Must admit, it's a new one on me and I've never actually witnessed it anywhere.

I don't think it has arrived in Shakespeare's Town, in fact there was a huge uproar when they wanted to open a Pound Land 

So is "graffiting" on a pavement by using a stencil and removing dirt to leave your logo, image or message, vandalism?

Interesting question! I'm guessing it will be more in the context. Obvious abuse, slander, profanity will attract complaints and local authorities.

But is it wrong for a cafe to use the technique where they have outside tables, but the ground is technically council owned?

How about your house number in the pavement outside your house? Is that vandalism?

How about the recent landrover beach artwork? Could this be perceived as vandalism?

Suspect this will just raise more questions than answers!

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

It is a crazy one, don't see many companies offering it as a service but I think it could be huge if its 100% legal. Then again I don't see why it wouldn't be, it's just cleaning! But who knows, going to try and find out more about it before I go and start cleaning my logo onto stuff!!

Tom Buckland
SEO Consultant

I have to say it does look cool .. Problem is if everyone does it it would look awful .Could you imagine every shop owner in every street doing it + all the other advertising it would soon turn into a war zone of overlapping art ,also the signs would get bigger to try and outdo each other 

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

True, but I think most people are too lazy to do it. For a start-up business targeting a local area, can you imagine how effective 20-50 spots would be? From an ROI point of view! I'd like to offer it as a service or try it out myself but I'm worried about the legally / Ethics of it. 

I have to say it does look cool .. Problem is if everyone does it it would look awful .Could you imagine every shop owner in every street doing it + all the other advertising it would soon turn into a war zone of overlapping art ,also the signs would get bigger to try and outdo each other ”

Tom Buckland
SEO Consultant

This Thread is now closed for comments