We're all worse off! Read it and weep!

By : Forum Moderator
Published 1st November 2017 |
Read latest comment - 1st November 2017

According to NIESR, in Britain, households are more than £600 worse off each year since Brexit, which is rather depressing reading!

“The National Institute of Economic and Social Research (NIESR) said it is “almost certain” the leave vote has damaged living standards and hit the growth potential of the economy.”

I think we all knew this really, well most of us, but seeing figures being given makes it more real. I have certainly noticed food prices increasing. They have also adjusted the projected GDP growth for the UK economy to 1.6 from 1.7%, to give this some context the global growth is expected to be 3.5%!

We have this news in advance of the expected interest increase on Thursday, it’s not good news, and this is all before any Brexit negotiations have even been agreed.

Do you think Brexit will lessen people’s spending this Christmas? Personally, I have seen an increase in interest in using small local businesses, which is taking money away from the bigger national companies. Are you worried about your business? Or are you expecting a busy Christmas this year?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/01/brexit-vote-cost-niesr-economic-growth

Comments

I think austerity and Brexit will define this decade as one of the most turbulent and economically miserable in history. It  has turned politics on it's head and left us all in state of flux and chaos. All because one of the most important decisions in our history was treated with a circus mentality and left to us common folk to choose, along with a poor grasp of the complexities or realities about what we were voting about. 

Roll on 2020 and at least we'll know what direction the UK is going, ie economic armageddon  or euphoric phoenix out of the ashes 

My view on "democracy" has been tarnished over the last couple of years and I'm now left wondering if the political system we currently rely on is actually fit for purpose...

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

I can't help but agree, what with the Brexit debacle and Trump....democracy isn't really working so well is it? There's a severe lack of common sense and truth about and too much power in a few people's hands. There's a strong whiff of protest in the air and I think it'll be anarchy before Christmas, in 2050.  

This Thread is now closed for comments