Removal company advertising advice

By : Forum Member
Published 22nd June 2017 |
Read latest comment - 5th October 2017

Hi all,

My name is Dan, I'm on the brink of starting my own removal company! I'm new to this forum, but from the threads I've read you all sound nice

My main backround is sales, so I believe once I can get myself in front of people I'll do very well at selling myself and my company.. but the trick I need to learn it getting my company's name out there and getting the opportunity to be in front of my poetntial clients.

I'm currently doing all the background work.. I've researched all my local and national competition intensely, I'm having a website built, ready next week. Softly building my social media profile and populating the pages, google proflie, free busniess listings, bank account, advertising avenues, flyers, vehicle search etc.. I've already invested a reasonable amount of cash so I'd say I'm past the point of no return! I believe I'm being very thorough, but if there's anything I've missed I'm happy to take advice.

I know the website will take a while to rank on the first page so I want to give it a head start. I don't have a huge amount of local competition so that will help.

I would love some advice on my best marketing strategy. Leaflets? Facebook? Google??

I want to give the impression of a professional established company.. fake it before you make it!

The obvious first one is to target houses for sale which I will do. Rather than just dropping a leaflet through the door I'm putting it in a branded envelope alongside an intro letter.. First impressions and all that.. but is there a better way than this?

I've read articles to steer away from Facebook ads, and I'd tend agree. People who want a removals company will be specifically searching for them, not come across them on FB and think.. oh yeah I need to move house next week! I think it would be hard to define my target audience.  But on the other side just getting my brand out there in the local community will be beneficial.

I'm thinking Google ads is my best option if done correctly, but I'm concerned about the cost of this? It's certainly towards the top of my list to use, as long as I do it correctly and maximise the benefit of it.

Yell.com keep pestering me since I set up my free listing, but is it worth paying them money to push my company? And the same for the other free listing sites.. are any worth spending money on for a 'premium ' listing?

I've got a local busniess network that seem to offer a good package, especially with social media work, but I'm concerned about the audience it will reach.. as far as I can see it will be just other local companies rather then the general public.

I know I will have to spend, but the budget is tight and I need to get it right first time.

So.... I think I covered most bases, but very happy for anyone to point out anything I've missed? Or any advice on the best advertising and promotion strategies

Also, I'm doing all this around a full time job, I have no intention of quiting until the my new company has a certain amount of enquiries coming in.

Thanks in advance, Dan

Thanks,
Dan @ Cheltonian
Comments

Hi Dan, welcome aboard and sounds like you are about to embark on an exciting adventure!

Marketing strategy wise is always going to be dependant on your type  of business, and what works for one may not work for another.

But leaflets are a great inexpensive way of getting your name out locally. Personally I'd be peeved having to open an envelope to look at junk mail. If I'm in the market for a removals firm I'll keep your flyer, if not it will go in the recycling. I would imagine most people would google a removals company so a fast professional looking website is a must. Also don't forget Google My Business listing, which will give you a right hand panel in the Google search results.

Directories are ten a penny and we all want your cash  Down to you if you see perceived value. But even free listings do have value, as long as all your details are correct. Google and the other search engines use these as "citation" references, ie you are who you say you are and offer a little bit of help for your own website.

Most decent directories also have customer review facilities, so as soon as you get genuine customers (please don't fake them!), having  reviews about your business on multiple sources builds credibility and a positive web presence.

Likewise ensure you have a Facebook business page and LinkedIn. Don't be salesy, be social. Facebook marketing can be very powerful, cost effective and very targeted. Google PPC is also very powerful. But it's easy to burn through money if inexperienced and people will try and fleece you are 20% of your budget to manage it for you. Works for some, not for others so maybe some trial and error.

Another good way for credibility is industry associations, so maybe research BAR membership and see if it viable for you. BAR are part of the Chartered Trading Standards Institute Consumer Code, so it means you can put a nice Trading Standards and BAR logo on your wagons, website and marketing literature.

There's a starter for 10, but very best of luck, let us know how you get on and feel free to ask any questions 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Hi Steve,

The is for your input. You're correct about references, the sooner I can rack up the 5 star refs the better! As long as my service is good I see no reason why I won't get them. Then of course from that simple word of mouth from happy customers 

I've looked at BAR, there's also the Property Redress Scheme which I've joined and it was relatively cheap and looks good! Same reason I'll have all the correct insurances in place, all good things to make the company give out a good first impression. 

I'll keep looking at other promotion avenues, any thing to get my company name out there. I'll make sure everything is in place so I can hit the ground running and push the company hard! 

Thanks , Dan 

Thanks,
Dan @ Cheltonian

Hi Dan

Only just joined this forum myself, (literally 10 mins ago).  I'm no expert but I would definitely look at Facebook ads more so than Google ads in the early stages and certainly just posting on your FB business page anyway a few times a week with anything relating to your new business including useful info or funny stories  but agree with Steve, it's ok to 'sell' on there to a point but don't be too salesy, it's all about balance. 

Post useful information, funny stories etc, if they can write a sitcom about dinner ladies or car sharing, then I'm sure you can write amusing stuff about removals too, (just think outside the box a bit).

I am a hypnotherapist and have only recently taken the free listing on Yell.com and have also been pestered by them to advertise but I've read some really bad reviews about their tactics and promises to get number 1 Google listings etc, most people have said, their paid ads came to nothing but were very costly and communication was bad, (once they got their money).

I don't want to denigrate them too much, I'm sure they have happy advertisers too but there seems a huge swathe of unhappy advertisers.  Many reckon the free listing is good enough, I definately agree.

I assume you have already thought about going round all the local estate agents with your company details and getting them on-side.

Blogging is good for SEO so consider writing a couple a month, search engines like dynamic content, there's plenty of blogging advice online, (utube for example).

Good luck.

Keith

Thanks,
Put Yourself First

Some great advice.

Hi Dan

Only just joined this forum myself, (literally 10 mins ago).  ”

Welcome aboard Keith and with contributions like that, your just the sort of member we are looking for 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Hi Keith,

I'm already populating my Facebook page like you've recommended.  Tips on moving, how to pack, lifting heavy things, intermittent promo for the company and recently the odd funny meme with reference to the weather! I'm kind of silently filling it to make it look active before I really actively push it to build up the likes with paid promo. The fact you can schedule posts on fb is very good. You can spend an hour or 2 loading posts then whatever for the week.

The tough thing is the target audience on fb. I can select age group and geographical location, but what interests? I doubt there's many people on fb that are interested in home removal! Except for other removal companies and I don't want to waste my money on them.

I do need to drive traffic to my site to build up the ranking so I'm happy to try all options.

I will contact estate agents, perhaps offer a referall scheme if it's the kind if thing they do. The hardest part there is competing with more established removal companies. 

I will have a blog page on my site, when it's up and running I'll post links to it on my social media. My Facebook looks good so far but I'm neglecting my Twitter and Instagram a bit.. so may to do!

Thanks, Dan

Thanks,
Dan @ Cheltonian

Hi Dan, 

I'm another new member but I've been on here for a full 2 days now. Ha ha. I run a leaflet distribution service, so here's a quick thought/idea to tie leaflets in with the earlier suggestion to work with estate agents- which, of course, is a great idea (are there other services you can think of that relate to or are in the same 'buying cycle' as your removals service that you can approach and 'work with'- such as mortgage brokers, surveyors..).

I've only just though of this, but my suggestion is to ask whether the estate agents would consider 'mentioning' or giving over a little 'space' to your removals service on their leaflets in return for a contribution from yourself. Estate agents, as I'm sure you know, rely heavily on leaflets to win new  commissions, so are always delivering leaflets- and if you were to suggest that they use a little space for your business (perhaps even just with a line like 'Delivery sponsored by the Cheltonian Removals, the areas premier removal company' or any such line, or more- you guys decide..) they'd have both their leaflet printing and delivery costs reduced by your contribution, and you'd save a bundle on costs plus have the support/credibility of a recommendation from an established estate agents. I'm sure you could negotiate a mutually beneficial price! Now, from my experience with estate agents, some are much more entrepreneurial than others so don't be despondent if you hit a brick-wall with the first few- from my experience, I'm confident you'd find some that would be up for this. Plus, if you do decide to get the estate agents on board- which I also believe could be powerful- you'll be speaking to them about working together in any case, so why not suggest this while you're there. 

Anyway, all the best with your new venture. You've clearly given this 'due diligence' and are well prepared so I'm sure you'll do really well. 

Warren, for The Extra Mile Leaflet Distribution.

The Extra Mile

Hi Dan,

I am also a new to this forum but I want to share my opinion with you and others. I think Facebook could be more expensive than Google adv but if you want not just increase your position at search but to generate leads (i.e potential customers) you should focus on promoting your company in social networks, doing the relevant and interesting content.

Kevin Tracey

kev56

This Thread is now closed for comments