what to do when changing my business name?

By : Forum Member
Published 11th January 2016 |
Read latest comment - 12th January 2016

HI ALL,

I am a sole trader and when I set up nearly 3 years ago I used the name "WHEELERS WINDOW CLEANING". At the start of this year I decided to change the name of the business to "WHEELER&SON Exterior Cleaning Services". to offer a wider range of services. As I have now added "& SON " to the business title am I still able to operate a sole trader and who do I need to inform about the change of name and when ? I'm also looking to use a guy who is self employed for a few days a week as a labour only contractor. do I simply pay his invoice when I receive it or do I need to register somewhere.

thanks in advance for any help.

kind regards

Craig Wheeler   

Thanks,
Wheeler
Comments

Hi Craig

You need to let HMRC know: Tell HMRC about a change to your business

You will also need to let your bank know, which will probably be the most complex bit, as you will need to be able to receive money as WHEELER&SON Exterior Cleaning Services, as well as keep your previous trading names. So maybe a few forms to fill in, with a signature in blood, but talk to your bank. They can then send new cards, chequebook.

Also let any suppliers know if you have any regular arrangements.

Then obviously update your documentation, invoices, quote forms, website etc.

As for adhoc outsourced resource, as long as the person is self employed, it's not your problem. They will invoice you for their time as a service, and it's up to them to declare any revenue.

Hope that helps.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Hi Steve,

thank you for your advice it was most helpful. I have already done most of the things you listed just leaves a few to do.

Many thanks

Craig Wheeler  

Thanks,
Wheeler

This Thread is now closed for comments