CUSTOMER ANECDOTES AND IRRITATIONS

By : Forum Member
Published 2nd October 2014 |
Read latest comment - 9th October 2014

Not sure if this will kick-off or not but i'll give it a go.

If any of you guys do the face-to-face customer thing you'll have loads of these, so i'll just start with a few separate head shakers from this week.

1) Whilst standing at my Unit rearranging stock...Customer "do you work here"?

2) Handing me a Star Wars t-shirt (a standard cotton t-shirt)...Customer "do you have this in silk"?

3) Customer "i don't have any cash i don't suppose you take card" (i replied that i did) "Oh sorry i meant i don't suppose you do PayPal (i replied that i did) "Oh that's great but i'd rather pay by cheque" (i replied that i DO NOT take cheque). Away she went...

Thanks,
Kempres
Comments

I keep threatening to write a book, we even save some of the funnier emails just in case 

A few of my favourites over the years:

How much is the free listing? Nothing...

How long does a lifetime listing last for? As long as we're still here...

If it's a one off payment, how much do I pay next year? As much as you'd like to give us.

Is that the tax office? No.

Why can't I see my listing when I search for builders? Because your not in the builders category 

Who authorised you to display my business details? You did 8 months ago 

Where's my parcel and why is Royal Mail so incompetent? No idea, go and ask them 

How do I edit my Touch Local listing? We're not Touch Local 

Is that the My Local Job Centre? No.

A day in the life...

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

I keep threatening to write a book, we even save some of the funnier emails just in case 

A few of my favourites over the years:

How much is the free listing? Nothing...

How long does a lifetime listing last for? As long as we're still here...

If it's a one off payment, how much do I pay next year? As much as you'd like to give us.

Is that the tax office? No.

Why can't I see my listing when I search for builders? Because your not in the builders category 

Who authorised you to display my business details? You did 8 months ago 

Where's my parcel and why is Royal Mail so incompetent? No idea, go and ask them 

How do I edit my Touch Local listing? We're not Touch Local 

Is that the My Local Job Centre? No.

A day in the life...”

Thanks,
Kempres

Standing at the Unit:
"do you have anything Superhero"?

Hi, yes there's quite a few things, anything in particular?

"no, just anything Superhero will be good"

I show the Superhero t-shirts, mugs, glassware, tins, money boxes, coasters.

"no, no, no, no, no, no, no i'll leave it"

Aarrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
Kempres

Standing at the Unit:
"do you have anything Superhero"?

Hi, yes there's quite a few things, anything in particular?

"no, just anything Superhero will be good"

I show the Superhero t-shirts, mugs, glassware, tins, money boxes, coasters.

"no, no, no, no, no, no, no i'll leave it"

Aarrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Wouldn't it be boring without our favourite customers though ? It keeps the job interesting, at least thats what i convince myself of when i'm up against the pressures of dealing with our wonderful public !

Clive

It doesn't really apply to the situation above but what gets to me A LOT is that without doubt people are getting ruder and ruder.

I've been in retail for 21 years now and the older i get the more rudeness really takes it's toll on me.

I have a small Shopping Centre stall, i don't jump on people, i leave them to browse and do their thing, i do however try to smile, make eye-contact, nod or say hello.

Oh my goodness! Saying hello to people? These days? That's a dirty word!

Also what is it with having no respect for someones stock?

I have t-shirts hanging on the corners of the Unit (as well as 2 eye-level rails) 80% of people will go up to the hanging t-shirts, screw the bottom corner of the t-shirt between their fingers as if to feel the material rubbing it like there is no tomorrow, then swing it right the way round to see the other side, because apparently taking a footstep round the other side is too much trouble!

The amount of broken hangers and manky finger stains is incredible.

Then there is coming to the unit, touching everything, putting it back nowhere near where it belongs, then walking away without any sort of acknowledgement that they have seen you.

My response now...a vaguely loud, but oh so polite, "thank you very much for looking" as they walk away as if you do not exist.

And it is not the stereotypical 'baseball cap brigade' that is the most problematic, it's mostly 40/50/60 year olds, and mostly female.

Politeness really is free of charge.

Thanks,
Kempres

This Thread is now closed for comments