How do I send a Private Message?

By : Administrator
Published 17th July 2014 |
Read latest comment - 4th August 2014

Due to popular demand, we have now enabled a Private Messaging facility 

How do I send a Private Message?

You can PM someone by going to a members profile.

1. Either hover your mouse over someone's image/avatar and select it:

Or just select the members image/avatar or username, and this will take you to their profile. If you are using a touch screen device like a tablet, then you won't see a pop up, so just select the users image or username to be taken to their profile.

2. Simply select the Private Message link on the profile, and this will take you to a secure contact page as seen below:

3. This simply emails the member, displaying your forum email address, but keeping the members details hidden. If the member decides to respond, they can email you directly, at which point you can converse between yourselves.

To monitor this system, we are flagging PM's from new members so they will be moderated just to ensure the system isn't abused and to protect the community from unsolicited marketing or spam.

Any members caught abusing the system will be banned, and anyone who wants to complain about unsolicited PM's, please either PM myself, any moderator or contact us.

How do I opt out of the Private Messaging System?

1. Visit your profile (select the "My Profile" tab at the top of the screen).

2. Once selected, chose the "Edit Your Profile" option

3. Within your profile, choose the sixth option down and select "no" to Enable Private Message.

4. Scroll to the bottom of your forum profile, and select the Save option.

No one will now be able to contact you via our Private Message system. To switch it back on, just re-enable it within your profile and select the save option.

We have taken this approach with the PM system as it is a lot less complex than building an internal messaging service, but still allows members to protect their anonymity, whilst providing a means for members to communicate privately with each other, rather than in the public domain.

If anyone has any problems, please let me know.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments
sorry if being thick. I can see the private message if I hover over someones picture, but if I select it, and go into their profile, I can't see anywhere thats a private message option? Or have I missed it?

Thanks,
Johno

Hi Johno

Yep afraid you have missed it.

When you select the profile the PM link is under that persons stats.

If you follow the pics above in Steves posts it shows you my profile & the PM tab.

Hopefully if you follow the post it will be clearer when you try again.

Clive

Actually must apologise 

We tested the PM system, and it was only switched on for admins. Forgot to switch it on for the rest of the forum, but is all working now.. 

Steve Richardson

Thanks got it now guys 

Thanks,
Johno

Hi Steve

Actually I don't think the PM messaging  is working at present; nothing happens if I 'hover & lurk' above an avatar, 

Also, whilst on someones profile page , I find I can only see their latest posts . If I click on the " older posts " button at the bottom of the page it just returns me to the latest posts page.. A bug?

julia”

Hi Julia, I'm going to guess you are using a tablet? If you use a touch screen device like an iPad, then you wont see a profile menu pop up. In which case just select the users image or user name and you will be taken to their profile.

If you are using a PC/laptop with a mouse, then you should see this:

Selecting anywhere on the forum profile pop up, or the avatar, or the username takes you to the users full forum profile.

From here you can PM them:

Clicking the Private Message link then allows a member to contact you:

Let me know if that makes more sense, but will amend the post regarding tablets, as forgot to mention that 

Reference the older posts button on profiles, that was working ok, so looks like I've broken something  Shall pass it on to our patient developer!

Steve Richardson

Older posts button now working again!

Steve Richardson