Fire Safety At Work

By : Forum Member
Published 26th January 2017 |
Read latest comment - 16th June 2017

If anyone is unsure about fire safety in the workplace, reply to this thread and I will answer you questions.

Comments

Hello Fireman Bob. 

Was tempted to say my foots on fire, can you help? I'll get my coat..

If you are working in a large business centre that provides serviced offices for a multitude of companies, is there a requirement to have a set fire drill once a year, or every two years etc? Likewise is there a requirement to have things like fire extinguishers in the office if you have more than xyz staff, or your office exceeds a set square footage? 

Curious as fire drill evacuation tests are a pain for everyone, but in corporate land they were pretty common, where as in business centres from what I've seen, they are few and far between.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Hi Steve

I'll try to answer this the best I can with your description and I will try to put it in layman's terms.  The legislation says that a responsible person must ensure that the workplace is safe from fire fore employees and anyone else in or around the premises.  The employer is normally the responsible person, but, if there are multiple employers on a building then it may fall to the owner of the whole premises.  It is the responsible persons responsibility to have a fire risk assessment carried out and this would determine what fire extinguishers are required and when and how often fire drills are required.

if this explanation is not enough ask a supplementary question(s).

Bob

Hi,

I have been researching on fire industry for a while I want to know how frequently training should be given to corporate employees regarding fire safety and what all steps should be taken.

Originally Posted by Fireman Bob

If anyone is unsure about fire safety in the workplace, reply to this thread and I will answer you questions.”

Thanks,
Fire India

This Thread is now closed for comments