Are we moving into a realtime content world?

By : Administrator
Published 14th January 2016 |
Read latest comment - 6th April 2016

The way we receive and digest news in the modern world is quite incredible when you consider traditional medium like newspapers.

Clive just shouted over this morning that Alan Rickman had died, after seeing a breaking news headline on MSN. So I went to the BBC website to find out more, but no sign of anything.

So I googled Alan Rickman, and look at the results:

The Guardian had reported it 9 minutes ago on their site, and tweeted it 5 minutes ago.

But look at Wikipedia! The entry for Alan Rickman has already been updated, not only that, the knowledge panel on the right handside of the search results has already been updated, which means Google has already re-indexed the updated wikipedia page.

"Alan Sidney Patrick Rickman was an English actor"

Refreshed the BBC page, and they have caught up, albeit 11 minutes after the Guardian, and everyone seems to be after Wikipedia!

So is the wikipedia army of editors sat poised over their keyboard waiting for things to happen, or is it an internal race to see who can be the fasted to update their pages?

We really are moving into a real-time content world. 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments

I think we already have. Look at our market, directory information. It's now all about realtime updates, amending opening hours etc. You want instant weather before you go out, instant travel reports. I suspect it will be the behind the scenes delivery of how this happens that will be the next revolution rather than the information itself.

Angela
My views & opinions are my own

I think the trend will continue and we'll see many changes in the near future. Just look at how Twitter has changed breaking news etc. Everyone just tries to stay relevant and in today's terms "relevant" means what happened a minute ago haha

MarketingQuotes

This Thread is now closed for comments