Project - How you can use your page URL to get 1st on Google

By : Forum Member
Published 10th January 2015 |
Read latest comment - 25th March 2015

So a bit of background. I have been working on a blog to do with general web marketing best practice. The end goal is getting people a large social audience. This gets people talking about you, creating relevant backlinks and gets you up search engine listings.

For my own blog I have avoided all off page SEO but kept the on page SEO very good (if you don't understand these terms the blog entry probably explains it a bit better). This allows me to do case studies on how important on page SEO is.

One of my entries after two weeks of the domain itself being live is now Google position 1 for "optimise indexability". I have avoided off page SEO for this project and have now created another landing page for the search terms "optimise url" and "SEO URL".

My first blog entry deliberately had lots of relevant content with a very well optimised URL. For the sake of research my newest entry (or landing page is probably a better way of thinking about it) has less relevant content because it is explaining how to use Google's keyword planner to rank well on Google. It still an extremely targeted URL and some relevant content. What I am trying to do is gauge how much weight Google's alogrythem puts on URL - clearly a lot - but with less relevant content will the URL get me where I want to be with less on page relevance.

The blog entry - Is optimising a page's URL important for SEO? should help you achieve what I have. 

I will keep this post updated with how things are going. One thing which is great for SEO is putting videos on a page. The next step after two weeks is adding a video to the post.

Need any social/SEO advice drop me a message
Optimise-U
Comments

Most interesting.

Getting to Page 1 for your keywords has to be.... well.... key.

In checking out my local competition, I am amazed that even some companies that are several years old (as is their domain) is sitting on page 7+ for really simple, and important keywords. 

Digging around, it's no wonder. Google can barely find them for the keywords! (One, if you enter in just the town name, they rank really highly - so, if you're thinking of coming to the town, you'll find his site. If you're thinking of getting his product in the town, he's on Page 2)

I don't want them to be at number 1 for locality... I'm happy with them staying where they are!

As we continually strive to get to number 1 in more than locality in the search string, I am most interested. Content is king, and we try and keep it fresh as a daisy.

I look forwards to seeing your results. ;-)

The First Choice for First Aid
From Cardiff to Calcutta...

One of my entries after two weeks of the domain itself being live is now Google position 1 for "optimise indexability". I have avoided off page SEO for this project and have now created another landing page for the search terms "optimise url" and "SEO URL". ”

I've got to be honest, as search terms go, optimise indexabilty it can't be that hard to rank 

I can't imagine many people would search for outside of a forum conversation and the test case.

In fact by repeating the phrase optimise indexabilty I've now probably competing with the other forums you have this same discussion with and currently show up for that phrase.

It reminds me of the thread we had for Grumpy Clive which after nothing more than a forum post, has been the top of page 1 Google now for nearly 4 years! Drives little traffic, but is a good example of what some basic optimisation can do for a relatively unpopular or very niche key word. It could be toppled quite easily if Grumpy Clive became the next must have phrase.

I'd imagine your term optimise URL is a more realistic one from a targeted traffic point of view for your industry. Be interested to see how you get on, ie how long it takes you to get the "optimise URL" to the top of Google, the amount of time taken (time is money) and the reward for it being there, ie targeted traffic, conversions etc.

Having been guilty of it myself, I found over the years a lot of people obsess over a particular phrase without first researching exactly what it is they want to achieve and how many leads will be required to make the phrase profitable. In otherwords SEO may be a marketing discipline, but it is overruled by business acumen. 

Best of luck, shall watch with interest 

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Yeah drives me buts when folk say 'we're top of Google'....but don't even say for which keyword. And I bet most mean for their business name! 

But I agree with you Steve about the OP's testing on that URL....it's not even a word in the dictionary that anyone would even use it and less so, be able to spell it correctly.

On site SEO works and was proven years ago, so don't think any testing needs to be done to prove it.  That said, there are still millions of business websites who fail to do their onsite SEO and with a bit of basic tweaking they could soon be on page 1 for their keywords instead of page 3, or perhaps just a bit higher up on page 1 if they're there already. It can make all the difference. Not for the highly competitive phrases granted, but your average joe business owner isn't up against the big boys and usually only wants to be top in their local area.

indizine
indizine

The page describes how best to choose keywords which is the point of the test. The content in this case is less relevant to the page - as of yesterday I was ranking page one for 'optimise URL' - after four days and the content of the page rather than an ultra targeted landing page does go into how to choose which URL to target. I am not testing if this works, I am testing how well it works  and what other factors are how important.

Currently ranked number 9 for "optimise URL" after four days so I changed the text and titles to be more relevant for these keywords. I will launch a youtube channel in the next week and put a relevant video on the page with no subscribers or views, just a relevant description and see if that has any impact on my positioning.

That is the point of the study - using a page which is fresh to test things on without worrying about the SEO impact because I haven't started working on offpage factors yet so I am purely testing how effective onpage factors are alone, one at a time starting with simple keywords.

When I work I usually go completely the opposite way and get a good social media campaign running to get people to build natural links inbound which is also known to work - but this gives solid data on how much weight URL and content has without other factors and when complete I will present the information in a way that is useful for anybody planning on building a landing page.

Need any social/SEO advice drop me a message
Optimise-U

I also would disregard where you rank after so few days. SEO to me, means where you are after several weeks and ongoing, do you stay there (or rise). I have seen folk bouncing off the wall and claiming success after reaching page 1 after 2 weeks of seo.....then they disappear never to resurface when the site they were proving a point with, starts to suddenly drop back. Good seo doesn't see you get to page 2 from page 14, then 3 weeks later see you back on page 7.

indizine
indizine

first we should focus on our url....how its structure is ??then check all the urls or websites ........also check for broken links.........

brainpaul

This Thread is now closed for comments