Have Tescos got it right?

By : Forum Member
Published 26th November 2014 |
Read latest comment - 27th November 2014

Saw this article and wanted to get some thoughts.

BBC News - Tesco 'gifts for boys' sign removed after girl's complaint

Synopses - Tesco get in a bunch of superhero alarm clocks - wack 'um on the shelf with a badge saying Fun gifts for boys.

All good so far, until ....... 7 year old girl takes exception as she likes superheros too and has one of the said alarm clocks. Mum posts on social media a pic of girl holding sign with sad face - Tesco react and pull the sign.

Marketing fail? Sexist? Too PC?

IMHO - disaster - what we are saying effectively now a days is that you can't target a product at a genre for fear of backlash of being sexist or PC 

Surely without being stereotypical, boys usually go for the superheros, action figures and girls go for pink barbies & angel wings, but accept that both sexes will play with items outside of this remit.

Not being sexist AT ALL but really am fed up of this kind of overkill & hype for political correctness for what is supposed to be a fun time of the year.

Clive
Comments

The world has gone mad!

If any of the girls wanted a superhero in my family we'd happily go and get it from the "blue" section without being offended in the slightest. 

I'm with you, the PC brigade seem to ruin things for the majority who have better things to do with their time than be continually offended  

Thanks,
Michelle

Have to agree there, it was a silly thing to do when all she really had to do was take the clock, walk to a counter and pay for it. I dont understand why she even had to drag her daughter into it. Its not like they're going to take the clock away from her. And even then you could come up with a convincing story about a birthday present for a nephew or something. The mind boggles sometimes that people could be this... Silly?

Thanks,
Dreamraven

Agree it's gone over the top but in an age when there is far too much blue for boys, pink for girls I'm all for less targetting.    Go into a Toys'R'Us and there will be dedicated aisles FULL of PINK - it's wrong.    Lego now has pink bricks - when there was no need, boys & girls always loved playing with lego even when they're weren't pink bricks!

We should Let Toys be Toys

This Thread is now closed for comments