Am I spending wisely?

By : Growing Business
Published 14th August 2013 |
Read latest comment - 11th September 2013

I've started my own Computer Repair company and so far have shelled out
Comments
I was recently contacted by Hibu (Yell) and was sold a premium listing that got me higher up on Yell in other areas. I was already top of the list in my village, but lower down on the surrounding areas. I'm paying

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Thanks Steve. Some nice advice there.

I have flyers designed but not printed. Double sided flyers are just a tad more than single sided, so I'm putting my wife's business on half of the other side (photo repair and restoration) and I'm trying to get someone else to go on the other half, and to pay a portion of the cost.

I'm definitely going down the PPC route, but I need to get my site optimized for it. I'm thinking that a lot of my potential customers may not have internet access on their PC and therefore would pick up their phone to search for someone. My site displays OKish on a smartphone but not brilliant.

I haven't done any door knocking PR, and I agree that I definitely need to. It sucks just waiting for the phone to ring, and when it does, it's telesales. Time to get some business cards and be proactive. Thanks.

My site displays OKish on a smartphone but not brilliant.

I haven't done any door knocking PR, and I agree that I definitely need to. It sucks just waiting for the phone to ring, and when it does, it's telesales. Time to get some business cards and be proactive. Thanks.

Smartphone usage is going through the roof. Any new business that doesn't make their online content smart phone friendly has just lost 40% of the market, possibly more.

If my computer is knackered, how do you think I will be searching for your services???

Displaying ok'ish on a mobile device is wrong. If you think it looks crap, how do you think others will view it? PPC now is all geared for mobile devices.

Door knocking, pounding the streets, talking to businesses and schools etc can be soul destroying and humiliating, especially if like me you're not a natural salesperson. But it is proactive and stands a chance of generating leads.

To run a business, you need a very thick skin, be self motivated, a self starter have an endless supply of optimism, and just a little luck...

I'm afraid sat watching the phone is a guaranteed recipe for failure...

Steve Richardson

My plan of action today is sorting out mobile landing pages for each of my services. I know it's something I need to sort out before I even consider PPC.

While I don't enjoy it, my sales skills are good. Maybe when I'm selling my own business rather than someone else's, I may learn to enjoy it.

I may learn to enjoy it.

Just remember Del Boy's saying, this next year Rodney...

Mind you, I say that every year

Steve Richardson

I think you'll find people will turn to Google when searching for services long before they will turn to Yell, I get around 50% computers, 30% tablets 20% smart phones via the ppc

Thanks,
Barney

Agree with all the comments here and Yell.com are expensive for what you get. I agree with Barney, most people will search via Google first to find services they want...

...and if that fails, My Local Services

...and if that fails, My Local Services

Steve Richardson

Haha, thanks for all the advice.

I have my mobile site up and running now. It took a while as I found jQuery a bit of a minefield.

Time to start researching PPC.

This Thread is now closed for comments