Have you set up your mobile website yet? 1 in 3 adults now using a Smart Phone!

By : Administrator
Published 4th August 2011 |
Read latest comment - 1st January 2012

If your business website can't be clearly seen on a smart phone, then you are missing out on a large potential audience.

"One in three adults in the UK now uses a smartphone, according to a report by the telecoms regulator Ofcom.

Apple's iPhone was said to be the most popular brand. However, teenagers appeared to favour RIM's Blackberry devices.

The report notes that the increased uptake of smartphones has led to a dramatic rise in mobile internet use."
BBC News - Third of adults 'use smartphone' says Ofcom report

If you are using a template based site such as wordpress, then it should be pretty straightforward to set up a mobile site, otherwise chat to your web guy

Interesting that iphones are for us old farts, and blackberry's are for the kids. Bit like the evolution of Jeans, when your dad started wearing them, they're no longer cool

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn
Comments
I went to the Google Oxford roadshow back in June and they were saying that around 10% of web users view websites on mobile devices, but this is expected to pretty much double in the next 3 years.

So its worth checking your Webmaster Tools to see what % your website is at currently. If its over 10% then maybe worth setting up a sub domain for mobile visitors or at least tweaking your site to make the best of the new market.

highlandspring

Interesting topic. I find that most modern smartphones like the iphones and blackberries display most websites as if they would be displayed in a normal browser, so do you still need to make changes?

Ryan

You can, but if you do have wordpress, you can use plugins like WPTouch. You can then set the plugin up, and if anyone visits your site on a smartphone, it will kick in and give the visitor a different outlook on things.

I know you can use WPTouch for free on your own site using WP, but not if you have a free blog on WP itself, but even then it has its own generic plugin you can configure for mobile visitors.

Thanks,
Dreamraven

Interesting topic. I find that most modern smartphones like the iphones and blackberries display most websites as if they would be displayed in a normal browser, so do you still need to make changes?

Disagree, guess it can depend on the site, but I struggle to view any non mobile content on my iphone.

Self plug, but see the difference on ours.

Just visit www.mylocalservices.co.uk on a normal browser, then try your iphone.

It will auto detect mobile devices, so displays as a normal site on an ipad, but is a cut down site for the iphone.

Set up separate analytics to track the mobile traffic, and I was amazed, now its been live for a few months, it's working out at just under 10% of traffic.

We threw on a bit of mobile adsense and overnight we had a new revenue stream. Will confess to being very slow on the uptake for this, and didn't see any potential in a separate mobile site.

I was very happy to be proven wrong!

Steve Richardson

Maybe I am viewing "less complex" sites. I have seen our site on Blackberry and iPhone, and I am not saying it displays perfect, but it seems to look fine. However, I take what you say on board and I am going to get it look at to optimise for mobiles.

Ryan

Apple's iPhone was said to be the most popular brand. However, teenagers appeared to favour RIM's Blackberry devices.

Based on personal experience, thats the complete opposite of the persons I know in the US. Every teenager I know uses iPhone, while most adults use Blackberry (or Android).

Malok

Few days ago, just saw this thread(again) and thought, well why not try make a mobile version of our website and did it so(I guess). The url is same but it should redirect you to the mobile site if using mobile devices. Have a look if you please, any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
fourth-monkey

any feedback would be appreciated.

Like it mate, looks great on an iPhone

Steve Richardson

Like it mate, looks great on an iPhone

Thanks mate. Got inspiration from your thread

Thanks,
fourth-monkey

This Thread is now closed for comments