forum avatar

How do I start a blog?

By
Published 24th September 2010 |
Read latest comment - 7th July 2013

Can somebody tell me the basics starting a blog please?

Our company is new to online marketing and I strongly believe blogging will be very efficient as we have a lot to talk about the technical side of our business.
Comments
If you already have a site you dev to create you a blog page and start blogging.

if you have not got a site get a wordpress blog.

be careful thought blogs are always started with the best intetntions but it takes commitment to keep them updated.

Stavros

Agree with Stavros, I'm guilty of best of intentions when it comes to blogging!

Keeping a blog interesting, informative and a useful marketing tool is an ongoing marketing headache.

Here's a thread on how not to do a blog!
http://www.mylocalforums.com/take-break/1436-steve-worse-blogger.html

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

forum avatardracoitsystems
24th September 2010 11:56 AM
Let me know if you need help with your blog. I can help with the domain, hosting and setting up as well as the day to day niggles if needed.

I'm a relatively new blogger myself and the only reason I feel it's OK to put in my 2p worth here is that old quote "In the valley of the blind, the one-eyed man is king". So here goes:-

My blogging approach has been to start with the site-relevant key words I want to put over and then try to build blog items round them.

I go to the free Google key word tool, checking for both popularity of the term (within the UK market) and its competitiveness. Deciding which terms are too competitive or just about achievable is something I'm finding difficult - eg the key word tool may identify the term as middling rank competitive but when you look at the highest ranking sites for that keyword they're huge government sites with a PR of 6 or 7 (plus lots of links to them).

I always aim to get on Google page 1 (for UK,Blogs or for UK,Everything) but of course don't get there a lot of the time.

You'll know the news / issues that are hot in your sector and the information you want to promote.

It's worth asking friends, family, business contacts etc to contribute to any comments section because 0 comments looks so bad! However, I haven't found much enthusiasm for responding to blog items - and my specialities (careers guidance, employment matters and job search techniques) are topics on which most people might be assumed to have views!

Good luck, Linda

Linda
CareersPartnershipUK

forum avatarBowen73
24th September 2010 12:36 PM
The best part with blogging is to keep it short and simple...

Going overkill on big words on trying to write like a professional has the negative effect on the follower and they quickly lose interest. The use of images is good too as its know that people take notice of images as a quick visual to what they are going to read..too much text and they will go away.

keep it relevant to what your site is about - blogging about non relevant things again can lose interest of your followers... e.g. my personal blog is anything, pretty random stuff about anything... my company blog is to do with the products/site and the trade..etc.

Link your blogs to update your twitter/facebook account too for maximum coverage.

There is plenty advise on how to/not to write blogs, i find it easier to just go with the flow and do them as if you are talking to everyday people, that way they can connect to you better (but thats just my theory )

I do own a web hosting company too so can assist in setting up/designing a blog site for you.

forum avatarjitendra1990
1st January 2012 11:30 PM
Blog regularly using unique quality content and watch your hits increase a little each month!

Make good use of social media as well which will help drive more traffic to it

You need to choose domain name as a high search volume keyword. Then you must update or posting everyday.

nashir

Another thread bump, and a big one at that.

Jitendra1990, the OP asked about how to start a blog, not what they need to do with the blog. Any helpful ideas?

Nashir, its not all about choosing a domain name. If the OP already has one, then getting another domain name would be a little overkill would it not?

Thanks,
Dreamraven

Hey

How far have you got with the blog?

Thanks,
Kevin.Wiles

This Thread is now closed for comments