Are you ready for 2018?

By : Forum Moderator
Published 18th November 2017 |
Read latest comment - 30th November 2017

Your marketing plan should be written and ready for the new year, what strategies are you going to use? Are you going to change what you do or how you do it? Have you got a new budget or are you happy with the one you have? 

I guess this is the time I need to fess up to being  a bit too ad-hoc with my marketing, I guess I was particularly wary of getting too much work when I had no childcare for my son. Now I have some I am going to start a push next year to build up my regular client base, hopefully doing more blog writing and editing. So a marketing plan is definitely on my to do list!!

Running your own business requires the wearing of so many hats and it's impossible to be good at everything, but there's always help around. On the forum itself we definitely have some marketing expertise as well as experts in other areas so you can always get some tips without having to spend, although some things are best delegated if you can't get it right yourself. 

So your marketing plan should be SMART, which I am sure we are all familiar with, but just in case:

S - Specific - don't be vague, if you want to increase you social media marketing specify which one and how much.
M - Measurable  - make sure you are going to keep a record of new leads or new sales, otherwise it's pointless.
A - Achievable - Know your limits, time and money wise.
R - Realistic - Increasing sales by 200% might be a great dream, but setting your sights too high will lead to disappointment and you might give up!
T - Timely - set yourself a number of posts on Twitter to do a month, or the amount of increased leads you want a week.

Don't be scared to set targets, I myself hate failure and this can lead me to shy away from setting myself aims in my business, but when you do it really can push you that little bit further. For example, I now have to earn a certain amount a month to qualify for free childcare from the government and since that started I have achieved over and above that, although it seemed really unlikely at the start. 

Feel free to share any of your own goals or targets for next year here, marketing wise my main thing is that I am going to start a blog and promote my own blog writing and editing service so I increase that side of my business. I am also considering using video, but I am not sure if I can face it or not  

What about you? Any tips you'd like to share?

Thanks, Rebecca, Proofreader and Copywriter
The master of web copy.
Pay for Precision | Proofreading, copy-editing & copywriting.
Share this post on Social Media or email
Comments

Plans all up to date and ready to go 

From your SMART analysis I'd say the 2 critical points are Measurable  and Achievable

If a goal or campaign isn't measurable then it's pointless and can be very expensive, lessons I learnt the hard way Thinking Taxi advertising, vehicle wraps.

Goals have to be achievable otherwise it's self sabotaging. You'll run out of enthusiasm, become despondent and any campaign will be doomed to failure.

Video is going to be a big part of our marketing moving forward and cannot recommend this enough: slide.ly/promo

Video creation for the 21st century. If you want a simple cost effective short video solution with simple template including soundtracks then this is it. I did a Facebook Header for a client, took no time at  all.  
www.facebook.com/PillingerandAssociates/

Fraction of the price than traditional video creation and a lot simpler than complex video editing software if time and cost are key.

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

One of the lessons I learnt from a very smart marketing agency I had the pleasure of working for, was that most companies always think about WHAT they want to achieve and HOW they want to achieve it without thinking about WHY they want to do it. If you ask yourself WHY you do what you do, then the WHAT and the HOW take care of themselves.

Try it!

Many thanks,
Natalie - Your Local Girl Friday
Who is Natalie? Ltd

Thanks for the video links Steve, useful stuff.

That's a great way to look at it Natalie! And since I started to work towards my 'why' I've earned a lot more! 

Thanks, Rebecca, Proofreader and Copywriter
The master of web copy.
Pay for Precision | Proofreading, copy-editing & copywriting.

That's a great way to look at it Natalie! And since I started to work towards my 'why' I've earned a lot more! ”

That's fantastic news Rebecca! 

Many thanks,
Natalie - Your Local Girl Friday
Who is Natalie? Ltd

This Thread is now closed for comments