Why doesn't America just ban guns?

By : Forum Moderator
Published 3rd October 2017 |
Read latest comment - 11th October 2017

So in the sad aftermath of the latest mass shooting in America, it is time to discuss gun control again. I am very anti guns, as is to be expected from the resident leftie I suppose  I am so glad it is something we mostly seem to get right in this country. Armed police are not everyday sights in most places (although this is more common than it was) and you don't have every man and his dog having the right to own a firearm. It is one of the reasons I have never wanted to live in America, guns are so prevalent, they are accidents waiting to happen let alone if someone loses it or has a bad day and decides to take out their coworkers on their way out. It's terrifying.

I was interested to read about the Australian gun control and how strict it became and how they changed their laws after their last mass shooting in 1996 and they've not had one since.  https://thinkprogress.org/australia-reacts-las-vegas-shooting-1110c7cf0af2/ This recent article asks why America hasn't acted to prevent these horrible incidents. 

Do you think that America should change the constitution? As their right to bear arms seems to me to be an outdated and frankly dangerous idea. It will certainly never happen with Trump in charge!

Peace and Love 

Comments

It's a fascinating question which sparks controversy and emotion on all sides, but even more so to us Brits who are fairly well insulated from firearms. But we are the unusual and not the norm.

Across Europe, both East and West, National Military service until very recently was standard. Meaning a high proportion of the population have been exposed to weapons, and due to the collapse of the Soviet Bloc, a lot of weapons have ended up on the black market and in civilian hands.

Our National Service ended back in 1960, then factoring in a continually shrinking Military, the percentage of the population who have been trained and carried firearms is relatively low, plus we have a big moat making it harder for weapons to come into the country.

The Americans on the other hand were born with a rifle in hand and it is written into their constitution the right to bear arms and defend the homestead, mad as that sounds to us.

Look at the National Rifle Associations logo tag line:

Their logic is a weapon is only dangerous in the wrong or untrained hands which is true. But then they argue that more citizens with weapons is a good thing as that's more good people with weapons versus the bad people.

This is where we struggle to comprehend their logic, with more weapons making the place safer 

Unfortunately (and this may be un PC for a leftie) but with the dramatic rise of immigration over the last 10 years, there are now a lot more people in the UK who are more familiar with guns or don't have our native born distrust or dislike of guns. So the only way to counter this is to have more professionally firearm trained Police.

But I would rather have this, with really tight any gun control laws, and have confidence that are Police are trained to the highest standard and will only draw and discharge a weapon as a last resort. Something completely alien in American Policing and culture.

The NRA are a huge and powerful lobby group with deep pockets. They tap in to the American psyche and fund politicians which is why Obama got no where. Regardless how horrific the atrocity, I doubt anything will change

What does anyone else think?

Steve Richardson
Gaffer of My Local Services
My Local Services | Me on LinkedIn

Having grown up with guns and have carried 1 for safety I can see both sides of the argument. In my book there is nothing wrong with it and is only a last resort as it got drummed into me from around 10 years old on how to correctly use a firearm. BUT when it came to owning my own I had to licence it go and see the chief of police before I could take it away with me.        Now after seeing how a lot of people react these days I am sort of glad firearms are not dished out here or in my country for that matter and yes America needs to change it's ways or else this sort of thing WILL happen again  

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

Having grown up with guns and have carried 1 for safety I can see both sides of the argument. In my book there is nothing wrong with it and is only a last resort as it got drummed into me from around 10 years old on how to correctly use a firearm. BUT when it came to owning my own I had to licence it go and see the chief of police before I could take it away with me.        Now after seeing how a lot of people react these days I am sort of glad firearms are not dished out here or in my country for that matter and yes America needs to change it's ways or else this sort of thing WILL happen again   ”

It's interesting to get your perspective as you've grown up in a different country. I find guns just terrifying as they are so powerful and deadly, but then I don't agree with their use to kill anything,  

I agree with Steve that the NRA have so much power their influence feels unstoppable.

It's sounds much like the EU ..Very stubborn.It's not like it is a big deal , like you say they are powerful and they are in the wrong hands.

Thanks,
Andy-C | Pewter World

This Thread is now closed for comments